Under-currenting a powerhead?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a powerhead that is too big for my tiny aquarium. (hygger 2600gph) If the controller was better I could set it low enough but the setting ramps up too high. I found the same powerhead but smaller from another company with a better controller so I ordered it. (ZKSJ Mini Wave Maker 1600 gph) It's here now so I could just replace the hygger and be happy or....

Replace the controller/power adaptor for the hygger, 24v - 2.0 Amps, with the ZKSJ controller/power adaptor, 12v - 1.25 Amps.

Cords are the same and the jack for the powerheads are the same.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a powerhead that is too big for my tiny aquarium. (hygger 2600gph) If the controller was better I could set it low enough but the setting ramps up too high. I found the same powerhead but smaller from another company with a better controller so I ordered it. (ZKSJ Mini Wave Maker 1600 gph) It's here now so I could just replace the hygger and be happy or....

Replace the controller/power adaptor for the hygger, 24v - 2.0 Amps, with the ZKSJ controller/power adaptor, 12v - 1.25 Amps.

Cords are the same and the jack for the powerheads are the same.
Since you have both, give it a try and satisfy yourself. The mismatch in voltage might not be a problem but the current mismatch might destroy the electronics of the controller at higher speeds.

I would use the correctly sized pump, sell or put aside the wrong one and focus on the aquarium :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have both, give it a try and satisfy yourself. The mismatch in voltage might not be a problem but the current mismatch might destroy the electronics of the controller at higher speeds.

I would use the correctly sized pump, sell or put aside the wrong one and focus on the aquarium :)
Electricity. I could never grasp the intricacies and am terrified of a fire myself. Try the experiment and put a camera on it incase it catches fire, explodes, or just burns up the windings and controller so that I can enjoy the pyrotechnics and not be harmed myself. Do it for the Board!

The views of this post in no way mean I am accepting any liability for the results but are purely for intertainment purposes and not the true views or opinions of the Reef2Reef board (and whatever else I might need to write to indemnify myself from any bad results that occur on account of my post).

Nails Egg GIF by Megan Thee Stallion

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did this with the Jebaos, and it worked perfectly fine.

However, not all pumps are controlled in the same way, thus I wouldn’t try to connect a controller from one brand to another, but rather stay within the same ecosystem and even within the same line of pumps.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back