Underwater photography questions

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here ever shoot pics while diving or snorkeling? What camera do you use? What tips can you offer?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get out your wallet!

there's underwater housings for most dslr cameras. Ikelite being the biggest name.
there are some cameras built for the purpose too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...era+Housings&ci=16477&N=4183191453+4283022107

depending on what youy want to be able to capture go pro is likely the quickest easiest to start with, depending on your photography skills and background.
http://shop.gopro.com/shopbyactivity/dive-advanced/black-dive-bundle.html
note the orange filter;)

heres some for your phone:confused:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Camera+Type_Smartphone&ci=16477&N=4185679681+3958322214

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to spend over $500. Has anyone used the Olympus TG series? That looks affordable but I'm wanting a camera that performs magic and makes my poor photography skills amazing, lol.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to spend over $500. Has anyone used the Olympus TG series? That looks affordable but I'm wanting a camera that performs magic and makes my poor photography skills amazing, lol.
lol
the Oly point and shoots Ive always personally been impressed by.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Canon PowerShot underwater camera and I love it!

Just a few photos. I can post more if you want. Outside photos is just as great :)

Turtles.jpg
groupfish.jpg

crevices.jpg

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's nice! I would definitely be happy with my pics turning out like this. Is this the D30?

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done numerous dives with my camera equipment. I use a Sony A65 in an Ikelite housing with a single strobe. I will alternate between a wide angle lens and a 100mm macro lens, depending on the dive. One of the biggest pieces of advice is to get a camera that has an adjustable white balance and dive with a white board (you can get these at almost any dive shop). This allows you to adjust the wb to any depth. What you have it set at when at 60ft will be different than 30ft. With my camera at least, I can do a custom setup by pointing the camera at the white board and the camera will auto adjust the wb to make it appear white. A strobe or some other form of light will also help remove the blue when down deeper. Be prepared to go through your air like no other when trying to get some macro shots. You use up way more than you would think while trying to stay put for that one good shot. Also keep in mind that you want to take as few pictures of a subject as possible with a flash or light. Imagine having a strobe going off in your eyes multiple times. Not only can it damage their vision but can temporarily blind them and make them more susceptible to predation. Also, depending on what equipment you go with, you may need to add some weight to your belt to compensate. My setup is very buoyant and I always have to add a pound or two to compensate for that. Remember to keep all of your O-rings properly lubricated and a good freshwater rinse after every dive is good practice. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me. Here are a few of my pics from various dives.

DSC01496_61.jpg

DSC01496_27c.jpg

DSC03784_19c.jpg

DSC01496_33c.jpg

OP
OP
repru04

repru04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great! I do not scuba dive, but I hope I will eventually. This may be more like what I'm looking for. Any other DSLR cameras creating great underwater pics? And what about more affordable Ikelites?

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great! I do not scuba dive, but I hope I will eventually. This may be more like what I'm looking for. Any other DSLR cameras creating great underwater pics? And what about more affordable Ikelites?

Ikelite housings are not cheap regardless of what type of camera you use. Now with that being said, they are amazing and outstanding quality! I absolutely love mine and it was worth every penny. The only issue I have ever had with it in about 50 dives is when some bonehead dropped his emergency oxygen tank in the camera only rinse bucket and it landed on my case. It move the lens port just enough to let a little water in and ruin my camera. Housings for point and shoot cameras will probably run in the $300 range. If you go the DSLR route, you are looking at ~$1500 for the housing (no lens ports) and then ~$150-$250 per lens port.

GillsGoneWild

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a housing and strobe for a Sony point & shoot. Then I got a GoPro...because you weren't anything til you had one. Well, I didn't like it. Didn't care for the perspective through the near fisheye lens. Sold both of the setups and bought a Sealife DC1400 with a strobe and a video light. I can shoot HD video and 14mp stills on the same dive. The quick detach wide angle lens is nice too, along with the super macro setting for extreme close up shots.
As for tips when shooting; be a good diver first! My initial foray into underwater photography completely sucked compared to what I can accomplish now. When buoyancy control comes as easy as blinking your eyes, it makes it so easy to compose pictures. Also, never think about your last picture you took while you're underwater, you might miss the next opportunity!
Don't delete the pictures until you've really looked close at them. Some of my more interesting pictures ended up being something that was off in the corner of the frame and I didn't even see it during the dive.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how often you're gonna shoot photographs underwater. Since the housing and lighting for my, Canon 7D Mark II are so expensive $3,500 - 4,000. I use my, Go Pro Hero 4 and lighting setup to take underwater photographs. Most of my diving is done in the Northeast USA, which can make water clarity an issue. If your scuba diving or snorkeling the Tropics frequently then go for it!

Ron83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bunch of research and found a Gopro 4 Hero Silver at my local BJ's for $249 new in the box...... I am going snorkeling in Belize in two weeks.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Go Pro now because it is small and kind of cheap. But you can't put a flash on it so I am not crazy about the pictures.
This was taken in Hawaii with a Go Pro. It's lousy

I also have a Sea&Sea Motor Marine 2 film camera and flash which took much better pictures. If anyone wants that for free, let me know. But it is a film camera.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back