Unique overflow design?

305to615reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this before? These are from the Frost Aquarium in Miami. Looks like both the overflow and return in the same tube to/from the sump. How does this work? Loved the look of the 360 view and being able disguise the overflow.

IMG_4968.jpeg IMG_4964.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it a couple times. Return lines can be run in drain lines to help hide them and help make a cleaner look.

On this system the drain is in the middle left of the tank in front of the mangrove and has two return lines snaked up through it and everything is hidden by the aquascaping.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly looks like a good idea. Unlike alot of overflows it won't infinitely flow into the sump if the return pump is off. Put it in an overflow box and it's good!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does this stop infinite flow to sump? Sorry I’m a bit of a plumbing noob
If the power goes out it dosent drain the tank it stops where the pipe ends. Some have holes directly on the bottom of the tank (in the overflow box) that would drain the entire tank if the power went out and this also dosent cause a siphon effect

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the power goes out it dosent drain the tank it stops where the pipe ends. Some have holes directly on the bottom of the tank (in the overflow box) that would drain the entire tank if the power went out and this also dosent cause a siphon effect
So you’re basically getting the benefit of an external overflow box while keeping it interior to the tank?

I’d think the sacrifice (And hence why hobbyists rarely if ever use this type of system) is the fact that the water is trickling down without any really significant siphon, so probably a lot more noise. But with a remote sump, At a public aquarium, that feels like not a big deal

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefkeepers Archive
Not to hijack this post but if you’re passionate about overflows and overflow methodology would you mind taking a look at my most recent thread?
Perhaps you’d have some valuable feedback on the matter?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back