Unmatched Pair of Clownfish???

steve_mcdonough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had three clownfish in my 20 Gallon Reef. Due to an order mishap and the impossibility of catching one, I had a matched pair and a single. I liked three and all were relatively happy. One jumped, so now I have two clowns. They are about the same size and don't leave each other alone, but no bullying either, just very very occasional chasing etc during lights on and seeming peace at night. Neither shows any torn fins or conditions that would indicate bullying after lights out. Very recently one has started hosting in a Branching hammer. The other in a frogspawn literally 5 inches away but at different depths (1/3 and 2/3rds deep).

Are these survivors of the jump the matched pair? If not will they pair up in the 20 gallons? If not, can I add another one smaller than the two (and a lid)?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on how old they are. If they have both transitioned to female it's too late, but I'd also expect more fighting. So possibly it's not too late and they are just vying for dominance. In that case, one will either eventually submit, or the tank will turn into clownfish fightclub.

Absolutely would not add a third. If they don't pair one will die, and then you can add another small one.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would just leave them, they will hook up or not, the most important thing is that there is no fighting or bullying.

Do some googling on a third clownfish, its very rare that 3 clowns can live in a tank. Usually, 2 will pair up and eventually kill the third.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had three clownfish in my 20 Gallon Reef. Due to an order mishap and the impossibility of catching one, I had a matched pair and a single. I liked three and all were relatively happy. One jumped, so now I have two clowns. They are about the same size and don't leave each other alone, but no bullying either, just very very occasional chasing etc during lights on and seeming peace at night. Neither shows any torn fins or conditions that would indicate bullying after lights out. Very recently one has started hosting in a Branching hammer. The other in a frogspawn literally 5 inches away but at different depths (1/3 and 2/3rds deep).

Are these survivors of the jump the matched pair? If not will they pair up in the 20 gallons? If not, can I add another one smaller than the two (and a lid)?
I have 2 that were paired in my tank and a new one added over a year later, little fighting for about a week or two. now they all live happily in my anemones
IMG_20240120_181015.jpg
IMG_20240120_181014.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back