Updated my lights to current orbit ic loop

Newbie reef collector

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tricks or suggestions on best performance or things I need to do or not do ? 180 gal. Kinda new to the reef game . Tank still pretty empty hoping to fill it as I can .
20170208_194708.jpeg
20170208_194542.jpeg
20170210_180632.jpeg

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters we produce domestically built LED Fixtures that Replace 400 Watt MH Lighting...Back in the day this was the standard for SPS Reefs...Then your tank would have three 250 watt MH and VHO supplementation...

Looks like a very new tank. Once you you notice coralline algae you can start adding corals...The fact that the coralline algae is growing means your ecosystem is stable...

Lots of new LR and lots of possible die off still not yet processed...Keep the water changes up...And check water quality bi-weekly... A Nice Reef does not happen overnight...

As far as the lights they are good for a FOWLR...Intensity matters and a natural sunrise and sunset is also key to a happy reef...Other than the least light demanding corals you will need to upgrade the lights for most corals...

A mature tank should be covered in the back with corilline algae...This is one way you can separate the sellers from the growers...And the new guys that buy a lot of coral and claim to have a successful tank.

Its a strange hobby with crashes and recovery but in the end if done right very rewarding as not many can do it well...

Bill

OP
OP
N

Newbie reef collector

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st ..let me Thank you for the response. .
Had to look up the coralline algas.. my tank does have it tho. Though it was a bad thing .
Little history on the tank . Have had the tank for about 10 years completely saltwater. Just fish and live rock . Tank has crashed several times. It's been almost 2 years sense I had anything in it . After the last crash I wanted to go to coral an fish for the color. Updated the lights I found on Craigslist for reef tanks .
I thought was a good price for lights but I didn't know at the time they we're being discontinued been in the tank for about a year-and-a-half with those lights with still no fish in the tank.with filter running the whole time Just started adding coral and fish and found current Orbitz lights so I upgraded after finding out parts for the old lights was being discontinued. It is 180 gallon fish tank I have about seven fish six Coral I also have a pretty good clean up crew in the tank I'm looking to add more Coral and roughly two or three more fish I think I have the lights program where I need them or where I want the at I'm just trying not to make any mistakes.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Best way to determine if your lights are good enough is to rent a PAR Meter.

Sanjay recommends a minimum of 100 PAR on the sand bed. I like over 200 for clams and carpet anemones.

Bill

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back