OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The circulation is provided by my using Vectra L2 return pumps really as powerheads with Mobius on a Reef Crest variable flow setting. There is no plumbing used at all. The pump intake sucks tank water into the chamber through a screen at the bottom of the chamber.....and jets it out through the top of the chamber....and then through the rockwork.

The chamber is created by using the typical alcove space that an end overflow creates on either side. Instead of being open to the tank, these alcoves are walled off with an intake screen at bottom.....and a hole at the top for the water to jet out. It is really no different than using a typical powerhead.....but rather than a plastic cage surrounding the pump, mine are surrounded by an entire chamber.

Florida is certainly suffering from SCTLD.....and anything from there could be a vector for that issue. I had SCTLD issues in my tank earlier this year that was corroborated by Aquabiomics testing. An Oxolinic acid treatement resolved that issue immediately and was also verified by a negative post treatment Aquabiomics report.

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope just one outlet…..the outlet on the pump. It’s just the bare volute…..with no plumbing attached or even the union that comes with the pump. The way that it is mounted, I can gimble the flow up, down or side to side. I also covered the white volute in black so that it was invisible within the rockwork that obscures it.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the return flow from the sump deliveries the water to these boxes. This means that there no return nozzles in the main display which results in no back siphoning when power is cut.
I’m having a hard time envisioning the holes in the boxes for the intake and return of the L2s

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three holes in each circulation chamber. See previous posted photo.

1) one that is 6”x4” with a removable screen for cleaning. This serves as the water intake from the display into the chamber. It is located at the bottom of the circulation chamber.

2) the second is a 2” round hole located on the same panel above the intake screen. It is about 4” from the top of the chamber. There serves as the flow outtake. The flow exit volute of the L2 pump is inserted into this hole. This provides the flow. See the previous photo of the pump sitting in the chamber.

3) the third hole is on the side wall of the overflow section. It is 1” in diameter and is above waterline. This is where the return flow from the sump returns to tank. The sump return flow comes from the sump….up through the overflow chamber….then splits to terminate into each circulation chamber on each side of the overflow box.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the clarification. I zoomed in to the original pic and noticed the bottom and top (yellow). Cant really see the third but understand

what is the red pvc that I circled? Is that the L2 return?

1DD32967-0C5B-451D-9C3D-C2098E9E71C8.jpeg

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your confusion with the red circle. That is just a piece of scrap pipe that is jammed in the chamber to support the pump at the desired angle. It services no plumbing purpose. It’s just a support.

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intake screen is at the bottom left for the first hole…..the pump’s outtake volute is sticking into the second hole…..but the third hole is not shown in the photo since it is above the waterline at the top right. That is where water returns from the sump.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your confusion with the red circle. That is just a piece of scrap pipe that is jammed in the chamber to support the pump at the desired angle. It services no plumbing purpose. It’s just a support.
Ahhh! that makes sense. Thanks again. I like this idea as I’m planning for a large build. I think this concept along with a closed loop could work on a large 800+ DT. Need to think through this more.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are three holes in each circulation chamber. See previous posted photo.

1) one that is 6”x4” with a removable screen for cleaning. This serves as the water intake from the display into the chamber. It is located at the bottom of the circulation chamber.

2) the second is a 2” round hole located on the same panel above the intake screen. It is about 4” from the top of the chamber. There serves as the flow outtake. The flow exit volute of the L2 pump is inserted into this hole. This provides the flow. See the previous photo of the pump sitting in the chamber.

3) the third hole is on the side wall of the overflow section. It is 1” in diameter and is above waterline. This is where the return flow from the sump returns to tank. The sump return flow comes from the sump….up through the overflow chamber….then splits to terminate into each circulation chamber on each side of the overflow box.
Steve, is the 6"x4" removable screen something you fabricated yourself or mass produced by someone?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back