Updated Video of 400-gal Mixed Reef

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an updated video of my 400-gal mixed reef system featuring a diverse livestock of fish, large anemones and corals......along with a more vertical, pinnacle type aquascaping. It also attempts some underwater in-tank footage.

https://youtu.be/XYaOJs_Fe3Y
Tank looks amazing!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 60-80" daily... What else do you run for equipment? Refugium?
All equipment is shown in the video….so…no refugium. There are a couple of 5 micron filter socks also employed in the system.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It uses about 24 inches a day....so...it lasts about 2 months.
Do you think the Reefmat is sufficient on a 400 gal? I’m doing an 740 display and was going to run 2 but with the sump the reef mar 1200 would be over it’s rating.

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't the size of the tank that matters as much as how much water passes through the sump. Some systems are designed to run a massicve amount of water through the sump....in that case....no. My system runs only enough water through the sump in order for the heater and chiller to be effective. In my system, a single Reefmat can handle my system's sump flow requirements.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't the size of the tank that matters as much as how much water passes through the sump. Some systems are designed to run a massicve amount of water through the sump....in that case....no. My system runs only enough water through the sump in order for the heater and chiller to be effective. In my system, a single Reefmat can handle my system's sump flow requirements.
I was going to run 2 reefmats, the sump design is a effectively a double sump the tank itself is a 750 gallon. I’ve heard turn over should be anywhere from 3-40 times turnover still figuring that out. I’m thinking 3-5 times through the sump maybe. But unsure if I should be over filtering and over skimming or under filtering and skimming.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second…… are you Oregon Reef Steve!? If so, you are a legend and inspiration. I loved the depth of your tank. inspired me to dream up a 8x5x3 even though your tank was almost 8’ front to back. Wow

Oregon reef pic. http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_upgrade.htm

5F3893B1-E377-43A7-86F0-F9F09A32D824.jpeg

how do you mange your flow in the 400. No visible powerheads but saw some EcoTech MPs Do you have a build thread ?

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes….same Steve.

There are no MP’s in this system. Flow is generated via Vectra L2’s. These are mounted inside concealed “wet boxes” on each side of the overflow. The flow comes through the rockwork that hides the flow source.

This tank runs similar to a typical peninsula where the overflow is at one end. This typical arrangement results in two alcoves on each end of the overflow. I utilized these areas to hide….and easily access….the pumps. Basically, I’m using L2’s not as return pumps….but rather as powerheads.

Here is a photo of one of those areas with the cabinet panel removed.

Attachments

• IMG_4733.jpeg
    IMG_4733.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the return flow from the sump deliveries the water to these boxes. This means that there no return nozzles in the main display which results in no back siphoning when power is cut.

OP
OP
S

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry… no build thread anywhere. However, I will be on the 8/17 ReefBum podcast where this will be discussed.

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,
I enjoyed your interview with Kieth last week. I have a few questions from the show.

Do you happen to have a diagram or drawing of how your closed loop system works in those chambers? Id love to learn more of the details of how it functions.

Also he mentioned that you got Live rock/sand from Florida and that you did some oxalinic acid treatments, I'm wondering if you got SCTLD coral disease from the rock/sand and if the O.A. did the job and knocked it back?

Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back