URGENT: Diagnosis Requested--Swollen Left Eye on Naso Tang

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Noob to this part of the forum as I haven't had any fish issues before now. I'm in a panic so I haven't searched the forum, but I know enough not to trigger an emergency with my first post. But I digress....

I purchased a Naso tang a while back and a Powder Blue more recently. The Naso has always had patchy spots on both sides, so that's not new to me.

I introduced the Powder Blue to the display tank yesterday. Everything seemed fine, considering the PBT can be very aggressive.

This morning, the Naso has what appears to be a swollen left eye with cataracts or something else. Video here.

My question: attack or disease? The Naso has been moved to the holding tank until I can get this figured out.

Jim

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ErehwoN Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
ErehwoN

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ErehwoN Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
  • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
I've had the fish for 3 weeks. Condition appeared overnight.
  • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
No I did not.
  • Current water quality measurements
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77.8
Mg: 1360
Ca: 480
KH: 8.3
NO3: 0.25
PO4: .04
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
Video in first post.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, Noob to this part of the forum as I haven't had any fish issues before now. I'm in a panic so I haven't searched the forum, but I know enough not to trigger an emergency with my first post. But I digress....

I purchased a Naso tang a while back and a Powder Blue more recently. The Naso has always had patchy spots on both sides, so that's not new to me.

I introduced the Powder Blue to the display tank yesterday. Everything seemed fine, considering the PBT can be very aggressive.

This morning, the Naso has what appears to be a swollen left eye with cataracts or something else. Video here.

My question: attack or disease? The Naso has been moved to the holding tank until I can get this figured out.

Jim
Can be an injury but can also be gas bubble embolism
Treatment will be unfortunately in a separate tank using Maracyn a- not Maracyn oxy for at least 7 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jim

When only one eye is affected, it is almost always due to an injury, as any parasite would affect both eyes essentially equally. The sudden development also points to it being an injury. It may not be a direct injury from the PBT, but the PBT could have made a rush to the Naso, causing it to panic and run into something in the tank, causing the injury.

Here are the concerns: that is a pretty severe eye injury. If it becomes infected, you'll need to treat with Erythromycin, Maracyn 1 in a treatment tank. Secondly, if the injury happened once, and the same fish are together, it could happen again. Now that the naso has impaired vision out of that one eye, it is more vulnerable to being attacked from that direction. You might consider a tank divider.

OP
OP
ErehwoN

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the concerns: that is a pretty severe eye injury. If it becomes infected, you'll need to treat with Erythromycin, Maracyn 1 in a treatment tank. Secondly, if the injury happened once, and the same fish are together, it could happen again. Now that the naso has impaired vision out of that one eye, it is more vulnerable to being attacked from that direction. You might consider a tank divider.
Addressing the second concern first. The two tangs are currently separated and I have another tank that has no tangs that I can put one of them into.

WRT the injury: now that they are separated, what should I be doing now to facilitate healing/recovery? Should I wait for infection or treat with the meds now?

Jim

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Addressing the second concern first. The two tangs are currently separated and I have another tank that has no tangs that I can put one of them into.

WRT the injury: now that they are separated, what should I be doing now to facilitate healing/recovery? Should I wait for infection or treat with the meds now?

Jim
I’d start Erythromycin now if the fish is in a hospital tank. Watch for ammonia rise though.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back