User opinions on Skimmers: Nyos 160, RO ELITE 150, Bubble King 180

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, looking for opinions from actual users of these three. First off, I apologize for yet another skimmer thread....

I am slowly making progress on my Reefer 425xl build. I have a Simplicity 120 in my old system that I originally planned on using in the new build but I am not very happy with it. It skims great but after 1 year of use it makes a ton of noise despite cleaning frequently. I have to now clean it in a vinegar bath once a week to silence it. It will then after 3-4 days start its rattling buzz. In any event it will be relegated to the basement with the quarantine tank.

I am looking for a skimmer that will most importantly be as silent as possible and fit in my sump easily. I want a DC pump and have the ability to connect to my Apex if possible. Easy cleaning is nice but not a deal breaker.

I am considering the Nyos 160 given all the positive reviews but I'm intrigued by the RO Elite 150 either SSS or Int- the Int will be tighter in the sump space but should work. I like the fact it will work with my Apex and be easier to clean (INT version). Also on my list but clearly much more expensive is a Bubble King 180 (Not sure how well it will fit)- I see that Royal Exclusiv is going to release a new version soon with the new red dragon 6 pump.

Would really appreciate some reviews and insights, especially in regards to noise. I am only considering these three so I ask that please do not bring up other skimmers.

Thanks!

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down bubble king, a 160 will work for that size, things are beasts and rated under capacity, look for a used one to keep apples to apples

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 160 & it's very quite, the issue I've had is set it & forget it. it seems to run great for a month or 2 & then all the sudden wants to start pushing water like mad even though I haven't changed anything (I do clean the cup & change filter socks out 1-2 times a wk) to the tank or sump. I have read where alot of people don't have any issues even before finding R2R & that's why I bought one.

PS
Forgot to mention that the pump sometimes would not start right away after stopping it to clean. I had this problem twice with mine & Eco Tech replaced both times within the warranty period. I asked about changing it to a DC pump but they replied they didn't know of one that would work.

Last edited:

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bubble king DC 180 would be too large for your tank. I initially had a hard time to get it skimming consistently. My tank is 150 gallon with 40 gallon sump.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 160 & it's very quite, the issue I've had is set it & forget it. it seems to run great for a month or 2 & then all the sudden wants to start pushing water like mad even though I haven't changed anything (I do clean the cup & change filter socks out 1-2 times a wk) to the tank or sump. I have read where alot of people don't have any issues even before finding R2R & that's why I bought one.

PS
Forgot to mention that the pump sometimes would not start right away after stopping it to clean. I had this problem twice with mine & Eco Tech replaced both times within the warranty period. I asked about changing it to a DC pump but they replied they didn't know of one that would work.
Thanks for the info! I guess I never realized the Nyos were not DC pumps. I just assumed that duh!

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bubble king DC 180 would be too large for your tank. I initially had a hard time to get it skimming consistently. My tank is 150 gallon with 40 gallon sump.
Thanks! How heavily (lightly) stocked was your tank. I tend to run light so this is valuable info. I guess my options in the bubble king line are the Mini 160 or the double cone 130. So in terms of noise was your bubble king DC 180 as quiet as rumored? Thanks again

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time it was about 15 fish and it was still not skimming consistently. I am up to 22 fish now and Im getting better results. The skimmer is dead silent and lives up to its reputation.
On Reefcentral they have a forum where they give suggestions based on tank size. I think for your plans you would be happy with the DC130 or Mini 160.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 62 39.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 80 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back