Using a multimeter

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to check my system for current flow but I’ve never used a multimeter. Can someone instruct me on where to set the dial, and where to plug in the red and black electrodes?

IMG_4459.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you're using it for. Assuming measuring AC current. Current flow is bit more complex that voltage or resistance checks. Voltage you can just place the electrode on the points you want to measure the potential between (i.e., sump water and ground to detect stray voltage). Resistance is done with power off (otherwise say goodbye to your meter although there maybe built in protection devices now). Current has to be measured with the device connected in series with circuit on and well...current can kill. A surprisingly small amount of current can kill surprisingly well. And I sure wouldn't recommend learning on 120 VAC. I'm sure you can find online sources that specifically go into it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable here. I used to have to use them all the time and I never got comfortable with measure current. Proficient sure, but never comfortable.

But a multi-meter is still a great and useful tool for checking any number of things, broken connectors/wires, power on/off (voltage). Particularly running down car circuits.

What I'd recommend is purchasing an outlet that has power and current displays (Kill-O-Watt for one). Plug in the device and measure the current and/or power. Very safe. You can pick one up for 15 bucks or so.

Good Luck!

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the Kill-O-Watt suggestion. It is much easier to use one of those than to break open a 120v circuit to get an amp meter in series with the load.

I also don't see an AC amps setting on your meter. I'm a bit surprised by this, but I'm a bit spoiled using nothing but Fluke meters for the last 30 years.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually needing to check for stray voltage but I had someone on an unrelated thread point me in the right direction.

Electricity is not my thing

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the Kill-O-Watt suggestion. It is much easier to use one of those than to break open a 120v circuit to get an amp meter in series with the load.

I also don't see an AC amps setting on your meter. I'm a bit surprised by this, but I'm a bit spoiled using nothing but Fluke meters for the last 30 years.
I picked it up at Harbor Freight for like $5…and I wouldn’t even know in what situation I’d need to check AC amps haha

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, that is much easier. Black lead in the COM hole. Red lead in the hole above that that is labeled V/Ohm/mA.

The problem you may have is that meter doesn't have a very low range for AC volts. Trying to measure a few volts of "Stray Voltage" on a meter set for a 200V maximum range won't give you the most repeatable reading.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, that is much easier. Black lead in the COM hole. Red lead in the hole above that that is labeled V/Ohm/mA.

The problem you may have is that meter doesn't have a very low range for AC volts. Trying to measure a few volts of "Stray Voltage" on a meter set for a 200V maximum range won't give you the most repeatable reading.
However the 200V max does read with a decimal. This morning it read 0.00

Chonetage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that working with current can indeed be a bit daunting, especially with higher voltages.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back