Using old sand for new tank

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not using the old sand will take all of the beneficial bacteria that lives in the sand and eats the poop and algae and will help with cycling the ammonia and nitrites out of the new system. That said I think there are also gasses that build up in the sand that you don't want released into the new system (which is what will happen when you disturb and move the sand) or at least that is what I have been lead to believe...thus I am asking the community for their opinion and knowledge.

Phishy McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll grow that bacteria back quick. I'm assuming if you wash the sand during transfer you'd wash it off anyway. If you don't wash the sand and just transfer dirty sand over I see nothing but headaches in the future...

Gazog2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What risk?? All you have to do is make sure you rinse it well with fresh water and it doesn't have to be RODI either. Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full with sand, run clean fresh water through it stirring with your hand (or a stick if you feel safer) until the water runs clear. Then if you really feel the need rinse it with some RODI, but all I have ever done is rinse it and then poured it out onto a piece of clean cardboard outside or in the garage and let it dry for a day or so. Every tank I have ever set up has had used sand from one source or another in it and I never had any issues.

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reusing my "old sand" for years...I would always rinse it very well (with hose water) before reintroducing it into the next aquarium build as I progress with my hobby.
Just within the last year or so I have changed my opinion about reusing sand, especially if it came from a long established system that had been running for several years. I now believe it is possible for the sand to become super saturated with nitrates, phosphates, and possibly other undesirables... when a super saturated sand is reused (even after a thorough washing and/or being dried out in the sun), I believe it can leach out these potentially harmful levels of nitrate, phosphate, ect. back into the new aquarium system which is no good!

Start over with new clean dry sand which is fairly inexpensive, and much easier to just do now before the system starts it's cycle in oppose to having to try and remove the tainted old sand later after you're set up and running with live animals and start having issues!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand doesn't sound like its living so there isn't much to gain by reusing it. If the sand were live I would definitely at least keep some for seeding purposes.

OP
OP
JLight

JLight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sand I planned on reusing wasn't for bacteria purpose. I know when the sand dries out its dead and mine was dry I was just wondering If rinsing the sand would make it usable.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sand I planned on reusing wasn't for bacteria purpose. I know when the sand dries out its dead and mine was dry I was just wondering If rinsing the sand would make it usable.

I think it would be usable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back