Using Thrusters as wave makers in aquariums

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up on sound and apparently the axial drive thrusters (like the Diskdrive 50) are supposed to be much quieter in operation, but they are high current for lower thrust, so definitely less efficient. Still working on quieting.... plus that diskdrive 50 is like $500 for the little one!

I'll find my thruster housing print design and post it up here. It works great, but you need to buy magnets and screws to use it.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up on sound and apparently the axial drive thrusters (like the Diskdrive 50) are supposed to be much quieter in operation, but they are high current for lower thrust, so definitely less efficient. Still working on quieting.... plus that diskdrive 50 is like $500 for the little one!

I'll find my thruster housing print design and post it up here. It works great, but you need to buy magnets and screws to use it.
Thank you for sharing your search and Diskdrive are very expensive that is why I went this route, my reef tank is loud as it is since there is a lot happening, any way for you to modify your thruster cage file so that thruster can set all the way in the cage flush from the front rather than sticking out alittle? if so it will make much neat to look at.

solly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you, sir. I saw your previously recommended magnets and purchased them a few weeks ago. I'm excited to test this thruster out.

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok without further ado, my gift to you, the thruster housing and outer cap. Standard disclaimer, dont sue me if anything goes wrong, I don't have any money anyway.

If you already have the magnets, you just need the long M3 hardware to join the housing to the thruster, and then a silicone mat to pad the inside to glass and a felt mat to pad the outside to glass. Also, I bonded the magnets to the parts with JB weld.

Attachments

• Latest housings V2.zip
    109.1 KB · Views: 5

solly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok without further ado, my gift to you, the thruster housing and outer cap. Standard disclaimer, dont sue me if anything goes wrong, I don't have any money anyway.

If you already have the magnets, you just need the long M3 hardware to join the housing to the thruster, and then a silicone mat to pad the inside to glass and a felt mat to pad the outside to glass. Also, I bonded the magnets to the parts with JB weld.
Thank you very much. I'll get these going on the printer. I've got to get the screws still, but I've got all the other components ready to assemble. I'll keep you posted as this progresses!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back