Velvet ,... The quick killer... In 1000gallons

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered I nice6" Effio from a vender last week and they offered 50 snails free ,... :(... Think they were the culprit ,... Have not added anything in weeks excepting some macro algue two weeks ago...

Though weekend almost gave up..... Velvet hit on ' visual signs" Saturday morning +50 fish in my 1000 gallon system .... Lost 1 fish 3rd day morning .... saddleback clown ... 2nd was midday.... Shortly after my japaneeses swallow female .... Could not remove my fish as I Have large fish and difficult to get to .... No option but to break down the rock and get the fish out .... Setup a 60 gallon quarantine to start the healing .... Could not keep all fish in quarantine so dropped most off at friends .... For quarantine ....:( Have emperer , regal, male masked , ... Clown pair,.. Bandit,.. Copper , yellow long nose...and fowleri in 60 gallon not good! Rest of the fish at friends house....

So I will take this challenge as an OPPERTUNITY to do a little refresh,... Removed my travertine floor , omg never seen so much detritus after lifted ,.... Note to self seal those tiles in next time .... My sps are all fine ,... Sent some frags of my rare colonies to a friend to... Just in case ... Had to take my light down ,to get the rock out has been a long weekend... Ordered nine ai sol's blue will need anther 3 I think , cable to connect to profilux ... So will upgrade /downgrade from 2x 48' ATi 8 bulb fittings... ( with orbit led strips) Why change ?Well I struggled to grow anything on the bottom of my 30' deep.... So all narrow lenses whent with the sol's because I know them and trust them . Had some in 2012 and they worked great . Also price was sexy ....

So what now ,... Just waiting for my lights .... And then the rebuild .... Have to pay close attention to the hospital tank ,... For amonia ...:mad: So far so good .... Badge yellow 5 gallon water change daily .... Hypo salinity will not work on velvet right? .

Plan to keep fishless for 5 weeks... Treating with copper.

Plan : less fish , less rock ,... Think I will use marine pure blocks and large travertine tile to aqua scape ... More sps....

Will not do anything to the bottom , no sand no tile no board ,nothing ....

Advise welcome, ... Hope these events will help others ....

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this and that for a few free snails :(

Also sorry to hear about your T5's, you could have upgraded them with stronger ballast and Gieseman bulbs.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are gonna treat the DT with copper, then your rocks cannot be used in a reef setting since they will absorb some copper and will leach out a little at a time. Suggest to just go fallow to get rid of velvet.

Btw, Did the male Personifer make it?

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , he is fine at a friend ,... No rock in the 60 gallon quarantine just pvc pipe.... Not treating DT it's full of sps...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always found the free was a very expensive thing to receive, I look forward to your build in the near future.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet wipe out my stock last year after adding snails. Lots of "high end" wrasse gone within a day or two. Sometimes this hobby just isn't right. You'll bounce back.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, so sorry for what happened to you. Good call removing your fish for treatment and you are absolutely correct, hypo will not cure velvet.
Only thing I would suggest is to go a little longer on your Fallow from 5 weeks to at least 76 days. I mean you already took care of the hardest part, removing all the fish and setting up a QT....might as well go the full treatment length to be safe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man sorry to hear this!

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a dumb question but does a uv sterilizer not do anything to combat velvet?

mniemann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bunch of snail to my 75 a few months ago. I have always used snails in my Clean up crew but this was obviously way too many as I had a quasi crash and lost plenty of everything. Luckily like you I was able to take my most prized pieces to a good friends. All is well now after months of fighting back with water changes and constant maintenance. Hope you come out of this on top. Good luck

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 59 40.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.8%
Back