Velvet ,... The quick killer... In 1000gallons

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. :( I also get attached to the fish and lost my favorite a couple weeks ago. I hope everyone else makes it. It is really terrible to lose them. @Humblefish has some good threads on fish disease and treatment. Hopefully he will reply to your thread and offer some kind of help.
Again so sorry for your loss.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you keeping the ammonia levels down in your qt will require daily 80% water changes. I did this for about a month until my 55 was cycled in a very similar situation, my qt was full as well.

My condolences for your losses, very frustrating I am so sorry to hear.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 4fordfamily and others,... Yes have amonia badge and do amonia test daily been ok with 10 -15 gallons per day change ...copper is a difficult to keep stable have two different test daily jic... Been ok so far ,... Have two air stones and lots of surface turbulence .with powerheads ,... Purchaced a small 65 gallon skimmer on Amazon .... Trying everything... Do you think it's ok to move the Angel tonight out of copper ? I'm getting frustrated....

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear all this, I can feel your pain happened to most of us, you are not alone. Wait it out and start adding little by little. I went through it once and lost almost everything. Don't give up you are not a quitter

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that . If they are really covered but still alive I would try to FW dip as last ditch effort. Ime Angels and copper can be rough, personally I would leave him in until he started acting wierd to make sure his velvet doesn't come back when copper goes away

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 4fordfamily and others,... Yes have amonia badge and do amonia test daily been ok with 10 -15 gallons per day change ...copper is a difficult to keep stable have two different test daily jic... Been ok so far ,... Have two air stones and lots of surface turbulence .with powerheads ,... Purchaced a small 65 gallon skimmer on Amazon .... Trying everything... Do you think it's ok to move the Angel tonight out of copper ? I'm getting frustrated....
I don't think a skimmer is necessary on a hospital tank and it could absorb some of your copper or any other medication.
I also had to set up a hospital tank pronto...I had to do 80% W/C almost daily as 4ford's mentioned, what helped me was "bio spira", w/c after a week after first introducing to the tank and then followed by bi weekly.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Humble fish have read both more than once,....thanks all , Anyway emperer is doing better out of the copper still not eating but at least he is moving around... Hope I got all the velvet..... Cross fingers .... Watching him carefully..... Seems improved....

Good point on bio spira , And skimmer is more for oxygen than gunk ... But good point on the copper will use on empowers tank...

I did try the ich shield humble fish ,... As the medication you mention is not easy to get.... I have been frantic and had bottle of copper and test kits handy... Merhaps I will call my vet if things go down hill, you think two weeks in copper is enough? Emperer seems ok ,.... He however has what looks like a hole in his cheek. ....

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of copper meds are you using? Cupramine is okay to be run with skimmer, just not uv light or chemical filters.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think two weeks in copper is enough?

Two weeks is usually sufficient for velvet, but I'd go 1 month just in case your fish also have ich. Might as well get them all "clean" while you can. ;)

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flossem, +10 inch emperer dead, did not know I would feel so heart broken about a fish....

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flossem, +10 inch emperer dead, did not know I would feel so heart broken about a fish....
Sorry to hear :(

Velvet kills in the gills even if you don't see other symptoms. :(

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a horrible story! So sorry this happened to you!

Makes me nervous about this hobby every time I read something like this.

My wife already hates how much I've spent on reefing. If I had a loss this large I worry she'd make me quit.

Good luck going forward. Sorry for your loss. I hope you continue with the hobby and can get past this mentally.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ,... Will go nice with my neon green carpet in the sump so just need a red one , and blue one(on hold)

Observation : my sps are doing the best they ever have without fish, my water is also crystal clear. Mmmm... Cut back my carbon dosing and halved my biopellets and took gfo offline this weekend ... My algue has stopped growing....

Never been able to keep zoa , so will give them a try,...

Think I will get a mccullah pair for the large sump with the carpets,,, will keep my stocking low going forward,perhaps 1 rare pair of angels bandits or conspicuous or ...... Have loads of time to research... .. That's it , and tang for algue , think I'll try for a scoping /yellow hybrid ,.... Will get some inverts next week and quarantine them in the display, decided to add sand 0.5 inch ,... Tank looks strange without movement.... Depressing ...

NeptuneGarden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A strong UV light would not be a bad idea. Velvet has a water born life stage.

The problem is the treatment does not effect the parasite while attached to the fish, only free swimming. So the fish has to be able to fight off the infection on it's own, while we try to keep the water column free of additional parasites with copper treatment and a strong UV sterilizer.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also took my ati's down put up nine ai' s and hooked up to my ghl ...coral are enjoying the extra par... Some crazy polyp extension. Started feeding the coral,.. With fuel... , and reef bugs... That's about it I used 8 marine pure blocks as pillars with large travertine tiles and shelf rock..to elevate the coral . Will take 36 life reef skimmer offline , keep 6000sss with neck extensions and neck cleaner running , will takedown nitrate reactor.... After work tomorrow... Also got some Iron and potassium for the algue ....

That's it loads to do when you no longer have the fish load now I have to be careful not to starve the coral. Took my rock out acid washed , bleached and had in li,... Now drying in the sun... Luckily I had 6 seeded , marine pure blocks ,.... will start conditioning this week in salt, shrimp and bacteria ...

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have a 36w twist on a shelf ,... Think I'll hook that up 2.... Should be strong enough for 60 gallon quarantine ?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ,... Will go nice with my neon green carpet in the sump so just need a red one , and blue one(on hold)

Observation : my sps are doing the best they ever have without fish, my water is also crystal clear. Mmmm... Cut back my carbon dosing and halved my biopellets and took gfo offline this weekend ... My algue has stopped growing....

Never been able to keep zoa , so will give them a try,...

Think I will get a mccullah pair for the large sump with the carpets,,, will keep my stocking low going forward,perhaps 1 rare pair of angels bandits or conspicuous or ...... Have loads of time to research... .. That's it , and tang for algue , think I'll try for a scoping /yellow hybrid ,.... Will get some inverts next week and quarantine them in the display, decided to add sand 0.5 inch ,... Tank looks strange without movement.... Depressing ...

I think you will need to decide if you ultimately like your fish more or your coral more, before you decide on what livestock to get next. If you chooses corals, then a rare angel, a rare tang, along with rare wrasses and schooling fish like anthias may be your choice of livestock. If you want to keep more of the larger fish species, then you will definitely need get a large QT going if you haven't done so.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back