OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh! So I added about 225g (half of a 450g kalk container) and the whole gallon of vinegar went milky. It's very slowly settling out but this was clearly higher than needed for saturation. So FYI, for anyone else doing this, I'd say start with 100g and go from there :)

Another question for Randy: Does the calcium hydroxide neutralize the acetic acid somehow? What I mean is, if I was dosing 10ml prior to saturating with kalk, will 10ml of the saturated vinegar be an equivalent dose of acetate?

OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acetic acid becomes calcium acetate, but once in the tank water it all becomes acetate anyway, and of the same amount. :)

Now that it's settled, it appears that the bottom 1/3 of the jug is an opaque white, and the top two thirds is a translucent off-white. Should I be dosing this, or should the liquid be transparent? Maybe I should just start again, with a smaller amount of kalk?

OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've read that trace contaminants are significantly higher when dissolved in straight vinegar, as opposed to kalkwasser or kalk with a bit of vinegar. Any truth to this, should I be worried?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make it this way with excess lime, the pH is about the same as ordinary limewater and impurities still precipitate, unlike actually dissolving all of the lime in vinegar. This is also VERY potent, so you are not dosing much, so I would not worry about impurities, assuming it is good quality line to begin with.

Dose the clearer liquid on top. It may get clearer over time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make it this way with excess lime, the pH is about the same as ordinary limewater and impurities still precipitate, unlike actually dissolving all of the lime in vinegar. This is also VERY potent, so you are not dosing much, so I would not worry about impurities, assuming it is good quality line to begin with.

Dose the clearer liquid on top. It may get clearer over time.

Would it be better to only use enough lime to totally dissolve? How would this change the pH, impurities, concentration etc?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back