Vivid Aquarium Signature Corals Picture Requests

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree.

If you buy a Ferrari, never do an oil change, fill it with cheap gas, and it starts breaking down is it really the Ferraris fault?

You can't just do whatever you want with modern corals and expect success. 15 years ago tenuis were trash corals, it took LEDs to make them color up. You know how many of these modern corals only look good under blue LED? A ton of them. They are the same corals nobody wanted way back when 10k mh was the only lighting option. because under anything but pure blue light they're just green dogs.

People act like we're discovering new corals. We really aren't. We're just seeing them literally u der a new light.

Always remember, none of these corals looked good before LED, so don't blame the Ferrari if you're not going to treat it correctly.

Sounds like your saying you have to have blue led only to make these newer high dollar corals color up? If so I don't agree at all. BigE said most of what I was going to so I won't get to far into it. My friend has a tank with t5 lite to about 10k look and one reefbrite with all these high end corals. They were the nicest represented corals I have ever seen and colored up perfectly. I have never seen an led tank look better than his. I also agree with BigE that these days tenuis are not the same as back when they were just green with blue tips.
10k halides might make corals seem not that nice when first placed under them, but once the corals adjust to that spectrum they will provide some more solid and bright colors than the other lights can. I don't get how you can say none of the high end corals looked good before led. If none of these are new corals, how on earth are the vendors charging so much money for them? Why are they starting at one original source and not having multiple people find the same coral coloring up to a crazy nice piece since its just the light thats making them this way? It doesn't make sense.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis were not trash corals 15 years ago. They were nice and coveted, but they were not imported at the current numbers since the trick lighting and fooling-customers phase of the game had not started. There are other corals that are easer to color that were more popular and now forsaken a bit since the tricks do not work on them (hycanithcus, plana, etc.). All that LED did was allow people who were not as good at their craft to get quick, short-term results and drop cash quicker than people in other places in the hobby.

I can get nearly all of the trick color tenuis to look as good as they do under LED under my 20k Radium and 14k Phoenix... not all, but most. Some still need the good you to slide the saturation bar or use an orange filter to get the colors that people post.

When dealing with any of the larger coastal coral shops, some of their "prime" stuff is wild, named, chopped and then never heard from again. Look at the first few pages of this forum and you will see people asking who has "Vivids Whatever Burger" or "WWC Pixie Dung" and nobody can ever answer. It is quite possible that nobody else has a piece and it will never be valuable. These corals can be fine (if you want a sampling of what they look like after being imported, then look at the SPS section of divers den for all of the wild imports of the day), but DO NOT expect these to be like some of the more popular named frags... if named frags are going to hit the big time, they are usually traded or sold for super-high dollars privately for a year or two before they become $500 or $750 frags available on web sites.

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a few of those frags lols

they use radion g4s ab+, at 400 to 500 par. we can only get that high in our frag tank.

in our display tank, sublime is colored up at 325 par, so is blueberry blast and everclear. at 250 par, punisher died.

my brother and i think everclear is similar to rrusa shamrock, we have both

delerium (?) is crazy hot pink, we saw mike paletta's big frag of that still there. our little frag is still hot pink

there's some more in our frag tank i cant remembr the names of - we think they look beyond nice

these are corals for people who love blue lights. i think if you're the 'pic under whites please', forget em, they arent white light corals. grow them under something close to ab+, but look under blues ;Singing

Last edited:

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh... for triton users, vivid's new named sig pieces have consistently held their color in our tank (given enuff par). our alk is around 7. we use g4s like vivid, plus a littke t5... but we think t5s alone might not roast them enough.

don't treat them like normal sticks and keep em near the sun :p

Last edited:

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, my brother's tablet is awful even with an orange filter
Studio_20190107_213733.jpg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Vivid pieces from the distant past. Jesus is awesome. Goes by OMG Jesus Corals now and is the undisputed King of 104th St!!! The Silent Assassin (he’s very soft spoken) has the best eye for special corals period. Truly one of good guys in the hobby who brought so many quality pieces to reef aquariums. He deserves credit for his hard work and really inspired me to try and follow his example. Get up extremely early and get to SDC, put your nose in the water and pick some cherries! By the time I would get there he would be loading his boxes already. He recognized me from being a customer at Vivid and schooled me on some things that made a difference for me. Things like, where to go for better selection on certain corals and better prices. No need to stop at SDC, Jesus cleaned it out at 4:30 in the morning already.

Vivid Valida aka Dollar Bill! IMG_9772.jpeg
IMG_9920.jpeg

Vivid Rainbows
IMG_9405.jpeg
Vivid Jokers
IMG_9033.jpeg

Vivid CARs
IMG_8904.jpeg
I know this chalice came from a personal Vivid online order, but I can’t remember the name right now.
IMG_8318.jpeg
IMG_8125.jpeg

Meanstreak
IMG_9072.jpeg
Ultimate Purple Cap
IMG_8736.jpeg
IMG_9681.jpeg The Mind Blown Palys came from Vivid IMG_0269.jpeg The Sunny D’s IMG_8016.jpeg
There’s a few others I have to find. I think I have the Twizzlers and possibly the Poinsettias.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back