Vodka Dosing - The Hit List!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so with all the topics about vodka dosing going on I wanted to pool our resources and make a list of the known GOOD effects that dosing vodka has as well as what algae's are effected by it.

Also we will include any negative effects it may have.

So I have no experience but will rely on your answers and update this post with the info.

GOOD:

ALGAE:

BAD:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing for two years with a DSB and minimal water changes. I also have not experienced the cyano problem that some have. There really are no negatives for me.

GOOD:Reduced Nitrates and Phosphates, Can feed heavily, less frequent water changes

ALGAE:reduced algae due to reduced nutrients.

BAD:None that I have experienced

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD: Reduced NO3 and PO4 effectively, color in SPS increased as well as polyp extension, not to mention growth. I can feed more, and I don't have to do so many water changes.

ALGAE: I saw an increase in Cyanobacteria, but its slowly fading.

BAD: Cyanobacteria outbreaks.

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months of carbon dosing here, and I would echo the GOOD and ALGAE portions of Paul's post. I was BB for part of the time and about 4 months ago added a 1/2" layer of fine sand. Just recently I started having trouble with cyano.

BAD: Can potentially fuel cyano growth

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good.. Improved water clarity,better colors, Zero po4 and no3, never experienced any algae, a slight diatom bloom once but it was gone in 2 days...don't think it was from the vodka... Never had cyano either as paul stated.... It's always been a win, win situation for me...;) my sps never thrived untill I started getting the fish drunk...:p

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good: Reduced phosphates, nitrates, Improved skimming, water clarity, Polyp extension, Little to no algae even during initial cycle.
Algae: Never had any, makes growing macro's difficult.
Bad: None if dosed properly(Overdose, which does not take too much can kill inverts, corals. Also will cloud water if od'd)

I always get a kick out of my friends and family that come over and watch me put Vodka into my tank. "Tryin to get Nemo drunk?"

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone give me a crash course in dosing? I want to dose my 250g. How much should I start with, do I need to run the skimmer, etc.??

PS. Does dosing help with bubble algae?

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing hinges totally on skimming so yes, you need to run the skimmer. You are encouraging the growth of bacteria that need nitrates, phosphates, and organic carbon. Normally they are limited by the amount of carbon and cannot reproduce and take up all the nitrate and phosphate. By adding that third piece of organic carbon, the bacteria increase and subsequently take up the nitrate and phosphate. The important part is skimming out these bacteria, as that is where the export comes from.

This article would be a good place to start.

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good: lower No3 and PO. and also crystal clear water
Algae: Is almost dissolving and diatom algae is fading
Bad: zoas have browned a little

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you combine it with mb7 rev you got a winning combination... The mb7 is a good bacteria and the vodka is a food source hence "biofuel" sold by brightwells is the same thing if ya don't wanna hit up the local liquer store... I remember you mentioning that awhile back...so you can use biofuel instead of vodka but is pricey way pricey compared to vodka...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ya wanna get crazy rev try this it might be more your style a drug store instead of a liquer store..:p

A local member from my club who is a lab rat/ marine biologist posted this.]I had a frag with some dead spots that had hair algae and cyano, so I went with a new dip system.

Take 100ml of tank water, add 1ml of 30% peroxide, submerge the frag in there for like 10 seconds and put it back in the tank. All the algae dies an falls off in a few minutes.

If you use peroxide from the drugstore, use 90ml water and 10ml peroxide. It's experimental so use at own risk.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I got a buddy to get me some vodka. LOL!

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody noticed or had bad experience with MB7 and zoa's? I have, once I started dosing I begin losing alot of my zoa's, In fact I lost all but 6, I had well over 20 at the time of start up, Once I switched to a different Bacteria the melting stopped. but don't get me wrong, for my SPS and water Quality it did a excellent job of getting my system and keeping it at ULNS.. again, this is just my experience..

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup tried that, I thought the same thing, Lack of Nutrients.. but that's not the case, a buddy of mine experienced the same thing, but since I have switched I got my Zoa Mojo back..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try a different bacteria one time that mark wiess stuff that has to refridgerated and it didn't seem to do anything but drain my pocket... Man that stuff is expensive, I always wandered why it has to be in the fridge and others don't...:(

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the same question to Kangym, He mentioned he used to work in a lab and said that Bacteria need to be kept at a cool temp to stay "live", at least that's what I remember him saying, I can be worng..

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 134 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back