Voltage in the Aquarium

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a power strip hooked up but a GFCI will be good to have installed.

Right now i have no stray voltage and will pick up another finnex unit soon.
To clarify a few misconceptions with surge strips, they do not protect against stray voltage going to ground or any type of short. They protect against a sudden surge in electricity from lightening strikes and such. A properly wired GFCI will open the circuit immediately upon detecting stray voltage. Remember the GFCI needs to be wired correctly with the house ground connected. Some older wiring only used a 2 wire system containing a hot and neutral wire no bare copper ground wire. If a ground probe is in the tank and plugged into a GFCI outlet the outlet will kill all power going to the tank preventing any more stray voltage. Been a licensed electrician since 2000.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a GfCI should be tested a few times a year. Simply push the test button and power should shut off from the outlet. Then hit reset. Believe it or not they do wear out and need replacing every once in a while.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If current ramps up slow the GFI will not trip. I had this happen to me, with a little fire to boot. Caught it in time, before any real bad damage happened. Alittle senged carpet and melted plugs and wires only.That was real scary. I was lucky. Safety first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back