OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, isn't that cyano, the stringy, floating things above the brown on the sand?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, isn't that cyano, the stringy, floating things above the brown on the sand?
Most likely no. Look like dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely no. Look like dinoflagellates.

Interesting stuff, and I'll assume that what I see on the sand is the same clumpy, stringy mess on the rocks as well I imagine. It also talks about bottomed out phosphates, which is the same situation I'm in. I'll keep at raising those via various means as indicated in this thread so far. I'm gradually cutting back the lighting to 9hrs as suggested instead of 11 and lowering my white light down as well.

I'll read up more on that thread, but appreciate any pointers as I swore it was cyano since it looked stringy and purple (I blame the actinic lighting for tricking me haha).

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff, and I'll assume that what I see on the sand is the same clumpy, stringy mess on the rocks as well I imagine. It also talks about bottomed out phosphates, which is the same situation I'm in. I'll keep at raising those via various means as indicated in this thread so far. I'm gradually cutting back the lighting to 9hrs as suggested instead of 11 and lowering my white light down as well.

I'll read up more on that thread, but appreciate any pointers as I swore it was cyano since it looked stringy and purple (I blame the actinic lighting for tricking me haha).
It's good to get a white flashlight out and take a look at things under normal lights sometimes. The spectrum of lighting we run can do some funny things.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve used Chemi-Clean, I always let it run a Day or Two beyond what the instructions say. Stir the Gravel where there is Cyanobacteria. For your Nano, you should get an Automatic Backup Air Pump, for power losses. One of the guys in the Reef Club bought one on Amazon that has an Off-Auto-On Switch. Can be run in On without depleting the Battery. BTW, you have to keep checking the Air Stone, they can clog, when not in use.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rocks and sand did you start with?
Sure, I got live rock and live sand from CaribSea, the BRS bundle.

Here are a couple of new pictures by the way after leaving it alone for a day.

Attachments

• 20230702_175011.jpg
    20230702_175011.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230702_175017.jpg
    20230702_175017.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230702_175023.jpg
    20230702_175023.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is LFS live rock, not Ocean Live Rock. Big difference. The results are based on your risk tolerance.

I am not too worried about hitchhikers. The results speak for them selves.
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
I am not trying to be obtuse, but sometimes that happens. Apologies.

It has been my experience that the key ingredient to success in the reefing world is solely based on "Ocean Live Rock". It provides so much biodiversity and so much biodensity, that it can not be out done by ANY artificial means.

Embrace the hitchhikers.

Check my build thread to understand my journey.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not trying to be obtuse, but sometimes that happens. Apologies.

It has been my experience that the key ingredient to success in the reefing world is solely based on "Ocean Live Rock". It provides so much biodiversity and so much biodensity, that it can not be out done by ANY artificial means.

Embrace the hitchhikers.

Check my build thread to understand my journey.
Understood, but that is more hindsight than an answer. Suggestions on how to tackle the now, given the above?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, but that is more hindsight than an answer. Suggestions on how to tackle the now, given the above?
Agree, I think you need diversity.

Do you have access to a couple different LFSs where you could purchase small amounts of live rock from each that could increase your bacterial diversity?

You don't need much from each.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I think you need diversity.

Do you have access to a couple different LFSs where you could purchase small amounts of live rock from each that could increase your bacterial diversity?

You don't need much from each.
I have very cramped space in that tank. Wouldn't things like Microbacter7 yield similar results, having competing bacteria?

WRLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is definitely cyano and not dinos then I can definitely recommend Cyano cleaner from Modern Reef. I've recently used it and within 48 hours around 90% of it had disappeared and within 72 hours it had all gone. I am now dosing biodiversity (by Modern Reef) to introduce good bacteria to outcompete the cyano cultures lurking in the tank. The only negative I witnessed was one of my mexican turbo snails was dead on the bottom and I've not seen any of the others since??

Also, I'm not affiliated to Modern Reef in any way. I was sceptical, thought it was another snake oil, but I became desperate when mats of cyan were beginning to overtake my corals. Highly recommend. Just make sure you follow the instructions.
Hi All, I planned on trying ChemiClean for my cyano outbreak.

Tank details: Fishless, no skimmer, 4.8g, have a wave maker and a return pump that agitates the surface tension of the water.

With that being said, is the only way for proper oxygenation is with an air stone? I don't have any of that, nor am I certain if I would have the room. Would the return pump agitating the surface be enough? Any alternatives that I could use?

Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back