Want to use ChemiClean and have some questions

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I planned on trying ChemiClean for my cyano outbreak.

Tank details: Fishless, no skimmer, 4.8g, have a wave maker and a return pump that agitates the surface tension of the water.

With that being said, is the only way for proper oxygenation is with an air stone? I don't have any of that, nor am I certain if I would have the room. Would the return pump agitating the surface be enough? Any alternatives that I could use?

Thanks!

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I planned on trying ChemiClean for my cyano outbreak.

Tank details: Fishless, no skimmer, 4.8g, have a wave maker and a return pump that agitates the surface tension of the water.

With that being said, is the only way for proper oxygenation is with an air stone? I don't have any of that, nor am I certain if I would have the room. Would the return pump agitating the surface be enough? Any alternatives that I could use?

Thanks!
I just went thru my first Chemiclean treatment and to generate air bubbles I adjusted the return nozzle to just below water level. You'll have a slurping sound sure, but the o2 you generate will be great

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went thru my first Chemiclean treatment and to generate air bubbles I adjusted the return nozzle to just below water level. You'll have a slurping sound sure, but the o2 you generate will be great
I may need to send to post a picture, but that would mean that the return pump would be maybe a 1/4 of the way above the water? Would that be over the course of the 48hrs?

Also, would it only be a 20% water change once afterward and that's it?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one of these and ran it..cheap, quiet

HITOP 110GPH Powerful Aquarium Air Pump: Quiet 2-outlets Aquarium Aerator, Adjustable Fish Tank Air Pump with Accessories, for 20-200 Gallon Tank https://a.co/d/fdEfUqZ

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one of these and ran it..cheap, quiet

HITOP 110GPH Powerful Aquarium Air Pump: Quiet 2-outlets Aquarium Aerator, Adjustable Fish Tank Air Pump with Accessories, for 20-200 Gallon Tank https://a.co/d/fdEfUqZ
Thanks! I didn't think of a kit, and I just ordered a Hygger from Amazon. My tank is tiny, so I imagine it will be good enough.

I imagine that you ra it for the course of the 48hrs, did a 20% water change, and were done with it?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I showed you more than one chemi clean killed my reef thread would you still risk it (most will still use it, avoid work at all costs)

A rip clean is the safe effective way to fix that pico

Chemi clean turns that cyano waste into gha next in line

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I didn't think of a kit, and I just ordered a Hygger from Amazon. My tank is tiny, so I imagine it will be good enough.

I imagine that you ra it for the course of the 48hrs, did a 20% water change, and were done with it?
Yes. I don't run a skimmer so taking the collection cup off and running it for oxygenation wasn't an option. I was leary of using chemiclean with a tank full of sps but was tired of battling it by other means. Followed the directions but also accounted for rock/sand water displacement when I dosed. 125 gallons is closer to 110 gallons with the sump is what I figure. Did the water change a couple days later and all was well. This was about 5-6 months ago and haven't had it since. I also quit dosing acropower and ab+ not long afterwards so that might have helped keeping it away as well.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I showed you more than one chemi clean killed my reef thread would you still risk it (most will still use it, avoid work at all costs)

A rip clean is the safe effective way to fix that pico

Chemi clean turns that cyano waste into gha next in line
I'm kind of at a loss here. It's starting to harm my coral and it's surgical removal on the corals in sensitive spots for them. I've been ripping it clean for a while now, always taking away the sand along with it.

How long would you give it if it's starting to hinder your coral?

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Got a full tank shot?
I clean it up daily, so I'll take one tomorrow when it's back. It's 3+ months at this point, but I'm concerned since it's harming my coral/interfering.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean it up daily, so I'll take one tomorrow when it's back. It's 3+ months at this point, but I'm concerned since it's harming my coral/interfering.
It is a pretty young tank. You are going pretty fast. I used chemiclean on my first tank. It got rid of the Cyano, but then kick started a green hair algae farm.

I might hold off on the "treatment" and continue with manual removal (turkey baster) while the tank finds balance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use chemi clean in any reef. There are lots of kill threads not mentioned here bc this group of reefers didn't have a loss yet from it. The risk isn't worth it

When you do a deep clean does the tank get fully emptied for cleaning with all new water, sand rinsed in tap water or are you doing siphon cleaning with the water still in the tank with all the corals=two different types of cleaning

The oldest pico reef on the planet/17 yrs running/ gets that with disassembly true rip cleans. We can change causatives after the fact, your light is too bright for sure for starters. But that has nothing to do with the current safe fix, it's for preventative action only

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pretty young tank. You are going pretty fast. I used chemiclean on my first tank. It got rid of the Cyano, but then kick started a green hair algae farm.

I might hold off on the "treatment" and continue with manual removal (turkey baster) while the tank finds balance.
What would your suggestion be for cyano upsetting the corals? It's agitating my micromussa a good bit. Anything I can do there other than wait it out, try and solve the nutrient imbalance, and hope?

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use chemi clean in any reef. There are lots of kill threads not mentioned here bc this group of reefers didn't have a loss yet from it. The risk isn't worth it

When you do a deep clean does the tank get fully emptied for cleaning with all new water, sand rinsed in tap water or are you doing siphon cleaning with the water still in the tank with all the corals=two different types of cleaning

The oldest pico reef on the planet/17 yrs running/ gets that with disassembly true rip cleans. We can change causatives after the fact, your light is too bright for sure for starters. But that has nothing to do with the current safe fix, it's for preventative action only
I am doing the siphoning and turkey baster as another user mentioned on here.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with my light, is that from reviewing another thread of mine?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would your suggestion be for cyano upsetting the corals? It's agitating my micromussa a good bit. Anything I can do there other than wait it out, try and solve the nutrient imbalance, and hope?
Use the turkey baster to manually suck up the cyano from around and on the corals. Or you could use a piece of air tubing to start a gentle siphon.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the turkey baster to manually suck up the cyano from around and on the corals. Or you could use a piece of air tubing to start a gentle siphon.
Hmmm, yeah, maybe it's not cyano on that coral now that I think about it (well, there is, but something tougher and also dark underneath). There's dark hair algae I think on it. In that case, just gentle, manual removal I imagine, right?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no worries, their post about the light through me for a loop.
My best advice to you is slow down. There are always unintended and unexpected consequences to what we do to our tanks. The tank must find balance. Every time you "do" something, you make it find balance again.

I look forward to a tank picture, it is often very helpful for making suggestions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back