OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a new tank from waterboxaquariums.com. Aside from thinking I was getting a sump with this setup, I was very pleased. The tank is very good quality and the staff turned out to be very nice. It'll be challenging trying to fit everything into an AIO but I will make it work.
I decided not to return the tank.
This will work out.

30108.jpeg

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting I saw nothing changed in the 4 years I had been gone. Like the Hatfield and McCoy is still LED/T5/MH.
I found a hybrid light from Aquatic Life , DX 18 and a few G6 XR15 from Ecotech Marine. The problem was that it being a peninsula there wasn't a decent mount for it which kept the end free, so I made a hinge support system that rested on its own in both the upright (for maintenance) and down positions. I added a cable for extra support in the down position. Also leveled it with a smart level.

20221213_213142.jpg 20221213_220155.jpg

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for water. Caught a nice deal on a BRS 75gpd RO/DI unit and salt from IO. I figure this'll take a while so why not wire up the components. I am using a Reef Octopus VarioS-2 return pump, Gyre XF330 for flow and Tunze 9004 Skimmer. BRS was out of heaters so looked on Amazon and found a Helio 200w with temp probe that'll get me started. I preferred to use a few heaters on low settings, but with an AIO there are space constraints.. so I ordered a backup and will use 1 at a time.

20221217_081923.jpg 20221217_213710.jpg 20221217_223939.jpg

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get caught up with coralline algae, that will take eight months or more. Focus on keeping ultra stable parameters after the ugly stage is over, in about six months.

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Exactly the plan.

It's worth noting that hidden beneath the sand I established a pretty solid footing for all the rock out of the extra AF Cement. I recalled how snails would vandalize my loose rocks plus I want to put a jawfish or 2 in here and don't want them to undermine anything.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank and scape. it's a bummer that you thought it was a sumped tank.
AIo are nice tho, make us keep it simple. how big are the back chambers?

if and I say a big *if* down the road you must have a sump. you could always get the life reef HOB overflow. its the only overflow I would trust.
do I think you need it NO just an idea if you find you need more robust filter systems.

I like what you did with the lights! looks like L brackets with hinges on it? can we get a close up? is there a fail save to keep it from crashing down on your head?

is that the carib sea rock? it look good.

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did with the lights! looks like L brackets with hinges on it?
Yes. The L-brackets gave me the clearance from the wall I needed and the hinges are heavy duty for gates and they don't open past 180*.
it's a bummer that you thought it was a sumped tank
I was going to use the sump in a very different manner than what you might expect. I'll save the idea for my next build

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Dosed an exorbitant amount of Dr Tim's Fishless Cycle Dec 24th and API Quickstart Marine Version,, ammonia was off the charts, but as of today I have:
0.0 Ammonia
0.0 Nitrites
50 Nitrates
I added Aquaforest Pro Bio S & F to the tank this morning and will wait to see what it does to the nitrates. (My skimmer has been running)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Dosed an exorbitant amount of Dr Tim's Fishless Cycle Dec 24th and API Quickstart Marine Version,, ammonia was off the charts, but as of today I have:
0.0 Ammonia
0.0 Nitrites
50 Nitrates
I added Aquaforest Pro Bio S & F to the tank this morning and will wait to see what it does to the nitrates. (My skimmer has been running)

cool let us know how it goes. I was unaware of that product had to look it up.

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing AF Pro Bio S & Pro Bio F every day and:
nitrates have gone from 50 to between 2 and 5 per Red Sea Tests.
0 nitrite and ammonia.
9.5dkh alkalinity
1.025 spg
I haven't performed a water change yet. Water seems good. Added few coral.
Orange frogspawn, rainbow australomussa (now classified as "parascolymia") and a red bowerbenki. I dipped them in Coral RX then rinsed them off before I placed them in the tank.

20230119_073719.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back