Watchman goby

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told Peppermint

That would be an odd combo because peppermints are cleaner shrimp not pistols, but who knows, might work
I don't see them pairing.

The best to pair with a watchman goby is a tiger pistol, but they are bigger, louder, and can move ALOT more sand.

A Randalls on the other hand, is a lot smaller so its quieter, and won't move as much sand.

Like I said, the tiger pistol will be best because they will have a reasonable size difference as they grow, but the Randalls will stay small while the goby grows, so it will be tight.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The best to pair with a watchman goby is a tiger pistol, but they are bigger, louder, and can move ALOT more sand.

A Randalls on the other hand, is a lot smaller so its quieter, and won't move as much sand.

Like I said, the tiger pistol will be best because they will have a reasonable size difference as they grow, but the Randalls will stay small while the goby grows, so it will be tight.
Thank you for the reply. My only concern about a tiger is that I already have a good size diamond goby who constantly moves a ton of sand, also I don’t want the tiger and diamond to decide to play house. I really want one that will get with and hopefully stay with my watchman who cuts only about 2 inches.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. My only concern about a tiger is that I already have a good size diamond goby who constantly moves a ton of sand, also I don’t want the tiger and diamond to decide to play house. I really want one that will get with and hopefully stay with my watchman who cuts only about 2 inches.
A Randall should work fine while it's small, but like I said when the goby gets bigger it will be a tight fit. I have seen many watchman goby and Randall pistol shrimp pairs.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an odd combo because peppermints are cleaner shrimp not pistols, but who knows, might work
Apparently peppermint shrimp have poor eyesight so the goby is the guard, and the shrimp cleans the borough. I do not know. So the story goes the shrimp will keep a tentacle on the goby. when the goby reacts to danger the shrimp knows to dive

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your right. I saw a tiger with one. and could not remember its name. Busy little character

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently peppermint shrimp have poor eyesight so the goby is the guard, and the shrimp cleans the borough. I do not know. So the story goes the shrimp will keep a tentacle on the goby. when the goby reacts to danger the shrimp knows to dive
I think you are thinking about a candy cane shrimp ( AKA Randall’s) much different than a peppermint, peppermint shrimp are cleaners, candy canes are pistols, which fit the discription you just gave. I can see mistaking peppermint for candy cane for sure

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Two Watchmen, constantly are out and about. I do feed a Cube of Frozen Food every day. Alternating with the Variety Pack, Mysis and Butterfly Angel Formula. I have one Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see my pair, or rarely. I haven’t seen the shrimp in months and see the goby maybe 3 times a week.
It strange how the pairings can be so different. I can walk over to my tank at any given moment and there’s a 99% chance I’ll see my YWG, and probably about an 80% chance I’ll see both the Tiger and the YWG.

Dodge Ram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a diamond watchman and added a starry blenny to the tank.
Guess who won ?
A 100 gallon tank!
The pistol shrimp in the 14 gallon I have has company with the gigantic bristle worm and at least one white crab.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are thinking about a candy cane shrimp ( AKA Randall’s) much different than a peppermint, peppermint shrimp are cleaners, candy canes are pistols, which fit the discription you just gave. I can see mistaking peppermint for candy cane for sure
You are correct Thanks

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do share a burrow. They seem to get along well given the goby is still alive, lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back