WC boo-boo

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 12g water change about 30min. ago my tank is a 50g cube and I forgot to shut my skimmer off which the collection cup was half full.As I was syphoning the 2nd 5g jug Ilooked down to notice my skimmer was overflowing and dumped everything from the collection cup into my sump:cry:.So far all my sps look good with polyps still extended no visual malfunctions,was this a waste of a water change?Has this ever happend to anybody here,and if so what was the outcome?

eskymick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens all the time. You shouldn't see any problems. I wasn't a wast of a water change. Your skimmer should pick up everything that it dumped in.

Eternal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine over flowed 1 month ago and I had a huge algae outbreak.:cry:
It is just starting to get under control.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your skimmer outlet under water at normal water level? if you keep the skimmer outlet above the high water line when you set it most skimmers will not be as effected by the water level in the sump. back pressure on the skimmer outlet is the major cause of such problems.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your skimmer outlet under water at normal water level? if you keep the skimmer outlet above the high water line when you set it most skimmers will not be as effected by the water level in the sump. back pressure on the skimmer outlet is the major cause of such problems.
My skimmer outlet is submereged the skimmer I am running on this system is the SWC 160 Cone.My tank is well skimmed and also running BRS ROX carbon in a BRS reactor,im hoping everything will be fine as it is sucking up crap pretty good at the moment.

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll be fine.. I have done it before, your skimmer will be skimming like mad the next day or two.

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to me too often, I always manage to forget to clean and leave the cups off my skimmers before I do my changes.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back