Wesley's 40 Breeder Sumpless

reefmadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it may be a little after the fact, but petco sells manhattan brand steel stands specifically for the 40 breeders. Just a heads up if you ever decided to move the tank or became unhappy with your current selection.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the aquascaping, thanks for sharing and look foward to seeing how this progresses.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and I'll definitely be following along!

Did you build or buy the light hanger?

I purchased the light hangers from another reefer. All he did was purchase the metal conduit rods from Home Depot and used a device to bend the rods. The paint used is rust-Oleum black "hammered. "

Looks good. Thanks for the write up.

Part of me is salty...,

I sure am glad that you are enjoying it so far.

very nice, I love the caves in the scape. Good luck with out and be sure to keep posting to let us know how it goes

Thank you. I will keep posting as much as possible. Since the tank is going through the cycle, there won't be much to report on. I didn't use any live rock, so there won't be any hitch hikers to look out for.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking scape. what type of rock did you use for your scape? I'm setting up my gf with a larger tank and would love to find similar rock as to what you used.

Majority of the rocks used to scape is Marco rocks.

I love the look of the rocks, but there aren't too much holes or crevices for me to place my frag plugs on. I may just cut the bottom of the frag plug and putty them onto the rocks.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK CYCLE - DAY 6

While the aquarium is still cycling, I figured I would post some pictures of a AquaClear 110 I purchased from a fellow reefer months ago. He had already modded it to a refugium.

The AC110 is terribly dirty, so I'll have to take a hose to it and clean it out.

AC 110.jpg

Here is all the silicon I stripped off of the AC110. I don't know what the previous reefer was thinking, but it looks like he used a whole tube of silicon.

It took me a few mintues to scrape all this crap off.

Left over silicon.jpg

Here is a picture of the AC110 after I water tested and cleaned it out. She sure looks SEXY again.

AC 110 front.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my son, Jordan. He is the reason why I got into reefing 3 years ago.

Jordan with 40 Breeder.jpg

Since this tank is still cycling, let me tell you a little story about my first reef aquarium.

The year was 2009 when I took Jordan with me to Neptunes Aquatics (San Jose, CA). I never thought about reefing, all I was into were African Cichlids. Everytime I visited the store, I would walk by all the salt water aquariums and immediately make my way to the back section of the store. I have to tell you, their stock of freshwater fish is amazing. I felt like heaven. Well, on our way out, Jordan told me that he wanted "nemo." I explained to him that "nemo" requires a saltwater aquarium and at the time I only had a 55 gallon Tanganyikan setup.

When I finally got home, I started thinking about setting up a reef tank. I didn't have a clue as to what was needed to setup an aquarium, so I started searching for forums and luckily stumbled into this friendly place. For months I read through hundreds of threads and soaked all the information in. I consulted with Robert, Cerisa, Jimmy and all the friendly employees at Neptune Aquatics. After a few more months, I invested in a BioCube 29. I loved the tank. I sure learned alot more through hands on experience.

I would like to dedicate this new 40 Breeder build to my son. As he gets older, I sure hope he picks up the reefing hobby.

Right side_Breeder.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my water perameters today:

Ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Phosphates .003

Since the aquarium is starting to grow algae on the glass and parts of my rocks, I figured I'd get (3) astrea snails and (5) red foot's. This will assist in cleaning up some algae and assist in cycling the tank.

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hours after getting added to the aquarium, the (1) red leg hermit and (1) astrea snail found the mother load. This rock is located on the far right hand side of the aquarium.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to drop in 1.5 inch piece of shrimp to kick-start the cycle, so I drove to Safeway and ran to the seafood/meat section. Unfortunately, all the seafood was placed into the freezing locker.

I asked one of the seafood clerks if it would be possible to get (1) piece of shirmp. Luckily, he just barely placed it into the freezer, so it wasn't frozen yet. I asked the seafood clerk what was the total cost so I can pay for it at the front. The seafood clerk told me that since I just needed (1) piece, I can take it free of cost.

The seafood clerk then asked, "what do you need (1) piece of shimp for?" I told him that I was cycling my reef aquarium and needed the shrimp to kickstart the cycle. He was amazed and didn't know that was possible with a single piece of shrimp.

Well, without futher delay, here is Bubba Gump the "shrimp." Sorry, I had to tear you in (2) pieces. I just didn't think the aquarium needed a full 3 inch piece of shimp decaying in the aquarium.

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here are full tank shots after 9 days of cycling.

DSC00442.jpg

As soon as I get my surface skimmer from YankeePete, I'll be cutting the Fluval plastic. Right now, it looks ugly just hanging on top of my rocks.

DSC00443.jpg

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I also used a piece of shrimp to kick start my cycle also. I ended up going on Easter Sunday and did not think about them having the meat counter closed for the holiday. Luckily one of the guys that was up there got me my shrimp. I did tell him that I was probably going to give him one of the oddest requests for the day. When I told him what I was doing with the shrimp he told me he had a teacher that had come in before doing the same thing.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice story. I wonder if many reefers explain exactly what they are using the 1 piece of shrimp for.

Good luck with your tank build. I'll be following along to check on its transformation to a full self sustaining reef.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry fellow reefers, I haven't had a chance to update my tank build. Everything is still cycling.

My hermit crabs and snails have been doing a great job in mowing down the algae. I am thinking of getting a sand sifting starfish to help turn my substrate. I hate to see algae growing at the bottom of the aquarium.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, my wife and I are at the hospital waiting for the birth of our daughter.

After waiting 16 hours, Kaiser finally had room for us at 9pm on 6/8. By 5:50am, my wife requested for the epidural to help ease the pain.

I predict the baby should be coming in a few hours.

Well, happy reefing everybody.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have a chance to update my build.

According to the API test kits, here are my water perameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

DSC00594.jpg

One thing I am battling right now is the nasty green hair algae. The (5) hermit crabs I have don't stand a chance against the green hair algae. I know I have to purchase more, but I think I'll be manually pulling out as much algae as I can.

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so time to combat my gha problem.

On 6/14/12 @ 7:50pm I powered on the Tunze 9002. I wanted to see if I can skim the water and pull any type of waste from the water.

I let the skimmer run overnight since it was getting too late for me to see any major results.

IMAG1185.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back