We've been treating them with copper at 2.5 consistently for 2 weeks, but this growth went from one fish to two overnight. Any suggestions?

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, the title. This growth was on only one fish prior to treatment. Now it's spreading. Any suggestions on further treatment? We have Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Maracyn Oxy, Prazi Pro and Pimafix on hand, besides the Copper.
20240324_110734.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video will not open for me and I can't detect anything in the photo.

When you say growth, please describe and try to get a better/ sharper / closeup picture.

Copper targets ich which visually appears as very fine grains of salt/sand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
P
Basically, the title. This growth was on only one fish prior to treatment. Now it's spreading. Any suggestions on further treatment? We have Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Maracyn Oxy, Prazi Pro and Pimafix on hand, besides the Copper.
20240324_110734.jpg
ics are blurry to clearly see but it takes copper safe 2 days to start working and a full thirty days for therapeutic treatment
How are you testing copper and what copper product are you using?
Please post a you tube video under white lighting

OP
OP
M

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seem like I can edit the OP, but here's a Youtube link. I apologize, I'm not very active on this site, so I'm figuring it out.

Does that help?

They don't seem affected by it. Yet.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seem like I can edit the OP, but here's a Youtube link. I apologize, I'm not very active on this site, so I'm figuring it out.

Does that help?

They don't seem affected by it. Yet.

The video is set to private, but I can see the one in the first post.

I'm definitely not a disease expert, but that looks like Lymphocystis to me - big, puffy, tan-colored, cloud-looking lumps on the fins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you...updated Youtube link for others.

So...if that's it (and it looks like it)...no cure. Hm.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this appears to be lymphocystis. No medication yet but keep a close eye for infection and keep your water clean. If it worsens, check back.

OP
OP
M

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I think you can see this one? Thoughts on treatment for this new red growth?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I think you can see this one? Thoughts on treatment for this new red growth?

Sorry, the video is set to private. In the previous videos, the Angelfish 100% has a severe case of Lymphocystis virus. This is caused by a virus that enters the fish's skin cells and causes them to grow in size. Depending on the layer of skin involved, and the color of the fish's skin, the coloration of these lesions can be different fish to fish. In severe cases, the mouth can become involved and that can stop the fish from feeding properly. In other cases, the lesions can break off, and that can lead to secondary bacterial infection. Other than that, no treatment is needed, and in fact, is usually detrimental.

Jay

OP
OP
M

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the video is set to private. In the previous videos, the Angelfish 100% has a severe case of Lymphocystis virus. This is caused by a virus that enters the fish's skin cells and causes them to grow in size. Depending on the layer of skin involved, and the color of the fish's skin, the coloration of these lesions can be different fish to fish. In severe cases, the mouth can become involved and that can stop the fish from feeding properly. In other cases, the lesions can break off, and that can lead to secondary bacterial infection. Other than that, no treatment is needed, and in fact, is usually detrimental.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Would you mind looking at these pictures? It's like a red color on one or two of them, and we're not sure how to treat it. Will the treatment for this hurt the fish with Lymphocystis virus?
20240329_131419.jpg
20240329_131632.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Would you mind looking at these pictures? It's like a red color on one or two of them, and we're not sure how to treat it. Will the treatment for this hurt the fish with Lymphocystis virus?
20240329_131419.jpg
20240329_131632.jpg
So - this isn’t a symptom of anything specifically. It could just be a minor injury.

How many angels do you have in the same tank?
Did this angel previously have lymphocystis lesions?
Is it showing any other symptoms?

OP
OP
M

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - this isn’t a symptom of anything specifically. It could just be a minor injury.

Is it showing any other

Is it showing any other symptoms?
He started with two spots, and now has maybe 10. He did not previously have lymphocitis lesions. Those came from the tank mate. We have about 10 angels in an 800 gallon tank.

OP
OP
M

mrp741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He started with two spots, and now has maybe 10. He did not previously have lymphocitis lesions. Those came from the tank mate. We have about 10 angels in an 800 gallon tank.
We're thinking it's either parasite or bacteria. We're just not sure which. But we have treatment for both.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could these be bite marks?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back