My experiences treating rapid tissue necrosis in multiple SPS species with doxycycline and amoxicillin

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm sure a lot of you who keep SPS have heard about the study and claims that rapid/sudden tissue necrosis (RTN/STN) is being caused (or at least assisted by) vibrio harveyi. If you haven't I suggest giving it a look as it has some pretty interesting information and could potentially change how we treat our stony friends. You can check out here. Curious by this study as someone who's had to deal with RTN on occasion. I wanted to see if I could find an antibiotic that could be used to help fight this problem. And to see if the study had any merit. I've been in the reefing hobby since 2004, but my keeping of SPS corals only started about 3 years ago. So I'm rather new to SPS compared to some of you.

I keep a Waterbox 100.3 stocked with 30 or so SPS frags, some of which are now mini colonies. I have reached a stage where I feel I can maintain a stable tank for SPS as well as share my results with the rest of you and feel confident in what I'm seeing. Over the last 6 months I've been selectively using three dips to treat corals who have tissue necrosis. My first experiments were with a product called "Fish Moxy" which does not seem to be sold anymore. However it seems to be generic amoxicillin. It even comes in gelcaps like you used to get from the doctor for a sinus infection. Unfortunately I do not recall the dosage amount per pill. But my dip consisted of separating the gel cap of a single capsule and mixing it in a small container of water for 30 seconds or so. Nothing fancy.

It looks like this:
B6765A67-F337-45BC-9C15-FA41A28E133D.jpeg

See? Nothing special. I don't get tissue necrosis too terribly often (thankfully). If I do get it, usually it occurs immediately after shipment or within a 2 week period post-purchase from a coral show (remember those?!). All SPS shipments were always done through FedEx overnight priority morning shipping. Usually being packed up and dropped off around 4:30PM local shipper time. And arriving between 9am and 10am local time. So only a few times did I have issues. Ironically, the first coral I had to RTN after getting my hands on some antibiotics to test this theory happened to a coral I bought 6 months prior at a fish show. It had some polyp extension, but for the entire 6 months it did absolutely nothing. It didn't encrust. It didn't throw up any nubs. Nothing. I just chalked it up to being a slow grower.

And then this happened. Out of nowhere. Overnight.

C3EAB9E6-B446-437F-BC68-68B3F37A6A4D.jpeg

Waking up to this in the morning is NOT how I want to start my day. And I really liked this coral too. dangit. Apologies for the top down photo but this guy is approximately 1 inch tall, 1/8th of an inch thick or less (pretty skinny), and had the entire large frag plug encrusted. Not only was the base encrusted portion rapidly dying. but the tip too. This guy was a goner. I knew from experience that my success with dips sold for this purpose was maybe 33%. And I wanted to try the antibiotic dip anyway. So this was the first guy to try.

I took him out of the tank and gave him a 5 minute dip in a container of tank water and a single amoxicillin pill. I used a medical dropper to slowly move the water around so it stayed mixed. As well as use the dropper to gently blow of any lose/dead/dying skin fragments in order to get to the "good flesh" that might have a chance at living. After 5 minutes I rinsed him off in another vat of tank water and placed him back in the tank. I went to work and hoped for the best. When I got home from work nothing had changed. No more death. That night out of desperation I did a second dip. This time it was 15 minutes long under the same conditions. A single pill, small container, medical dropper to move the water around. Rinsed the coral off and back in the tank. I went to bed kind of bummed I was going to lose this awesome neon orange coral.

The next morning I woke up to check for any results and was pretty shocked to see that whatever flesh remained on the frag plug had full polyp extension like I hadn't seen from this coral before. The polyps were probably 3x as long as what I had seen in the last 6 months. And if a large portion of it hadn't melted away I would've sworn the coral frag was happier and healthier than ever.

4-5ish months later and here is the same coral after receiving two amoxicillin based coral dips (5m/15m).

6BDDE4C5-1A7B-43C7-9DC3-5563FA4BF4F6.jpeg

If you didn't know that back in late January this coral was 24 hours from all of its flesh melting away you never would've known. Within the first week after treatment the coral started encrusting. It took less than 2 months for this coral to re-encrust what was lost. And now has a 1/4th inch growth nub at the tip that you can't really see but is also growing some at the edge of the frag plug. Its amazing to have RTN stopped dead in its tracks and watch a coral recover in less than a week. I've never seen anything like that before.

Over the last 6 months I have acquired quite a few more frags, and had a couple more issues with tissue necrosis. All of which I have experimented on with antibiotic dips. Unfortunately I ran out of amoxicillin. But doxycycline was available and is a similar broad spectrum antibiotic. So I've been using it as well. I found a source of frags on ebay which are fairly cheap. Allowing me to buy frag plugs from the same colony in duplicate. I wanted more evidence of antibiotics being able to solve RTN. And here are a couple other results:

This is a Vivid frag I had purchased. In the shipment I received 5 corals, 3 of the corals had zero RTN issues. 1 coral RTN'd by the end of the day. The Vivid started RTN about 24 hours in. On this frag plug, I placed 3 tips I was able to salvage. Two of the tips I gave a doxycycline bath for 5 minutes. Its hard to see the 3rd tip. But it did NOT receive a doxycycline bath. Can you guess which one?

5411A1AF-AFBB-48C5-B994-96BF4F1E3568.jpeg

Another interesting case. I purchased 2 blue acro frags last summer from a seller on eBay. I placed both frags at opposite ends of the tank. They received the same feeding/light/etc. Suddenly one day, both frags at the same time displayed receding tissue from the tips of their polyps. I gave one of the frags a dip in doxycycline. And I left the other frag on its own.

Here is the frag that did NOT receive an antibiotic dip:

yQ3kAw1.jpg

Here is a frag from the same colony that DID receive a doxycycline dip:

5RALHE9.jpg

keRIBN9.jpg

The results I have had using an antibiotic dip are amazing. In the 5 or 6 months since I've stopped using dips like melafix, revive, etc for tissue necrosis. Every single coral displaying RTN that received antibiotics so far has not only stopped RTN almost immediately. But also went on for a full recovery. If you don't have a bottle on hand to treat your corals in a dip, I recommend picking one up. Obviously YMMV, I am not a marine biologist or doctor. But the results I have been able to achieve and see with my own eyes has me convinced that there is a bacterial component to tissue necrosis in SPS corals.

Just a disclaimer that for some reason I feel like saying. Don't put antibiotics directly in your tank. And second, and I can't believe I have to say this. But don't use fish antibiotics in lieu of human medical care.

I hope this helps at least someone save their corals.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm sure a lot of you who keep SPS have heard about the study and claims that rapid/sudden tissue necrosis (RTN/STN) is being caused (or at least assisted by) vibrio harveyi. If you haven't I suggest giving it a look as it has some pretty interesting information and could potentially change how we treat our stony friends. You can check out here. Curious by this study as someone who's had to deal with RTN on occasion. I wanted to see if I could find an antibiotic that could be used to help fight this problem. And to see if the study had any merit. I've been in the reefing hobby since 2004, but my keeping of SPS corals only started about 3 years ago. So I'm rather new to SPS compared to some of you.

I keep a Waterbox 100.3 stocked with 30 or so SPS frags, some of which are now mini colonies. I have reached a stage where I feel I can maintain a stable tank for SPS as well as share my results with the rest of you and feel confident in what I'm seeing. Over the last 6 months I've been selectively using three dips to treat corals who have tissue necrosis. My first experiments were with a product called "Fish Moxy" which does not seem to be sold anymore. However it seems to be generic amoxicillin. It even comes in gelcaps like you used to get from the doctor for a sinus infection. Unfortunately I do not recall the dosage amount per pill. But my dip consisted of separating the gel cap of a single capsule and mixing it in a small container of water for 30 seconds or so. Nothing fancy.

It looks like this:

See? Nothing special. I don't get tissue necrosis too terribly often (thankfully). If I do get it, usually it occurs immediately after shipment or within a 2 week period post-purchase from a coral show (remember those?!). All SPS shipments were always done through FedEx overnight priority morning shipping. Usually being packed up and dropped off around 4:30PM local shipper time. And arriving between 9am and 10am local time. So only a few times did I have issues. Ironically, the first coral I had to RTN after getting my hands on some antibiotics to test this theory happened to a coral I bought 6 months prior at a fish show. It had some polyp extension, but for the entire 6 months it did absolutely nothing. It didn't encrust. It didn't throw up any nubs. Nothing. I just chalked it up to being a slow grower.

Waking up to this in the morning is NOT how I want to start my day. And I really liked this coral too. dangit. Apologies for the top down photo but this guy is approximately 1 inch tall, 1/8th of an inch thick or less (pretty skinny), and had the entire large frag plug encrusted. Not only was the base encrusted portion rapidly dying. but the tip too. This guy was a goner. I knew from experience that my success with dips sold for this purpose was maybe 33%. And I wanted to try the antibiotic dip anyway. So this was the first guy to try.

I took him out of the tank and gave him a 5 minute dip in a container of tank water and a single amoxicillin pill. I used a medical dropper to slowly move the water around so it stayed mixed. As well as use the dropper to gently blow of any lose/dead/dying skin fragments in order to get to the "good flesh" that might have a chance at living. After 5 minutes I rinsed him off in another vat of tank water and placed him back in the tank. I went to work and hoped for the best. When I got home from work nothing had changed. No more death. That night out of desperation I did a second dip. This time it was 15 minutes long under the same conditions. A single pill, small container, medical dropper to move the water around. Rinsed the coral off and back in the tank. I went to bed kind of bummed I was going to lose this awesome neon orange coral.

The next morning I woke up to check for any results and was pretty shocked to see that whatever flesh remained on the frag plug had full polyp extension like I hadn't seen from this coral before. The polyps were probably 3x as long as what I had seen in the last 6 months. And if a large portion of it hadn't melted away I would've sworn the coral frag was happier and healthier than ever.

4-5ish months later and here is the same coral after receiving two amoxicillin based coral dips (5m/15m).

If you didn't know that back in late January this coral was 24 hours from all of its flesh melting away you never would've known. Within the first week after treatment the coral started encrusting. It took less than 2 months for this coral to re-encrust what was lost. And now has a 1/4th inch growth nub at the tip that you can't really see but is also growing some at the edge of the frag plug. Its amazing to have RTN stopped dead in its tracks and watch a coral recover in less than a week. I've never seen anything like that before.

Over the last 6 months I have acquired quite a few more frags, and had a couple more issues with tissue necrosis. All of which I have experimented on with antibiotic dips. Unfortunately I ran out of amoxicillin. But doxycycline was available and is a similar broad spectrum antibiotic. So I've been using it as well. I found a source of frags on ebay which are fairly cheap. Allowing me to buy frag plugs from the same colony in duplicate. I wanted more evidence of antibiotics being able to solve RTN. And here are a couple other results:

This is a Vivid frag I had purchased. In the shipment I received 5 corals, 3 of the corals had zero RTN issues. 1 coral RTN'd by the end of the day. The Vivid started RTN about 24 hours in. On this frag plug, I placed 3 tips I was able to salvage. Two of the tips I gave a doxycycline bath for 5 minutes. Its hard to see the 3rd tip. But it did NOT receive a doxycycline bath. Can you guess which one?

Another interesting case. I purchased 2 blue acro frags last summer from a seller on eBay. I placed both frags at opposite ends of the tank. They received the same feeding/light/etc. Suddenly one day, both frags at the same time displayed receding tissue from the tips of their polyps. I gave one of the frags a dip in doxycycline. And I left the other frag on its own.

yQ3kAw1.jpg

5RALHE9.jpg

keRIBN9.jpg

The results I have had using an antibiotic dip are amazing. In the 5 or 6 months since I've stopped using dips like melafix, revive, etc for tissue necrosis. Every single coral displaying RTN that received antibiotics so far has not only stopped RTN almost immediately. But also went on for a full recovery. If you don't have a bottle on hand to treat your corals in a dip, I recommend picking one up. Obviously YMMV, I am not a marine biologist or doctor. But the results I have been able to achieve and see with my own eyes has me convinced that there is a bacterial component to tissue necrosis in SPS corals.

Just a disclaimer that for some reason I feel like saying. Don't put antibiotics directly in your tank. And second, and I can't believe I have to say this. But don't use fish antibiotics in lieu of human medical care.

Thank you so much for this... i think this can help many aquarist myself included. I have both melafix as well as cirproflaxin.... have you used those for to treat RTN or is it any antibacterial treatment?

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used cipro to try and treat RTN. I would be interested to see results. They are different classes of antibiotics. Amoxicillin works by attacking the cellular wall of the bacteria. So it will destroy and render useless existing bacteria it acts against.

Cipro works by preventing the cellular reproduction of the bacteria. So any existing bacteria won't be destroyed. But they also won't replicate. I wonder if that would potentially mean that the existing bacteria will still be able to do damage? Just a guess.

Doxycycline causes bacteria to not be able to produce a necessary protein, causing it to eventually die out. If I had to choose, amoxicillin might be the one I pick first. Just a guess though.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Really interesting.

Came across theses articles that may be of interest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964940/pdf/MEC-24-1150.pdf

The investigators looked at a couple of different acro species and identified three possible bacterial organisms they suspected to be the responsible primary pathogens: Roseovarius crassostreae, Vibrio charchariae, and a Bacillus sp. In a controlled setting they found tissue recession stopped following treatment with ampicillin which is has very similar antimicrobial coverage to amoxicillin that you found to be effective.

I would be interested to see if there was an effective in tank treatment that might be safe without being detrimental to tank's beneficial microbiome.

Last edited:

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never dose the entire tank. Always a dip. Tank dosing in perhaps only a hail mary scenario. If the entire tank is RTNing maybe.

Nick yes, that looks familiar. They're gel caps sealed in the middle. If you twist gently until the seal gives in, you can open the capsule and get the powder inside. I think the link you posted though is 500mg capsules.

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never dose the entire tank. Always a dip. Tank dosing in perhaps only a hail mary scenario. If the entire tank is RTNing maybe.

Nick yes, that looks familiar. They're gel caps sealed in the middle. If you twist gently until the seal gives in, you can open the capsule and get the powder inside. I think the link you posted though is 500mg capsules.
When I was saying dosage I was meaning what’s the right dosage in the dip. On the site it comes in 250 and 500mg. I bought the 30 count of 250mg. How many times should one dip in the antibiotic dip? Is once enough for twice?

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve done my second dip. I’ll have to take pictures for the next 7 days to see if the tissue has actually stopped receding. Comparing yesterday and today it seems like it might have stopped.

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always. As tissue necrosis is caused by multiple things. Bacteria is just one of many things that can cause loss of coral tissue.

Some other causes can be water quality, pests, maybe a virus, potentially too much light.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great writeup, thanks for sharing.

I think that RTN in the aquarium is frequently or maybe even usually caused by a pathogenic Vibrio like the ones found in the studies linked in this thread. While all (literally 100%) aquariums have some members of this genus, there is a lot of diversity in the group and we havent nailed down exactly which strain is causing problems.

Would love to know which kind of Vibrio was or is in your tank!

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

It looks like this:

yQ3kAw1.jpg

5RALHE9.jpg

keRIBN9.jpg

It's great hearing this! I have been going through some RTN myself recently. I bought Fish Aid's Fish Amoxicillin after reading this post.

Curious, how many mg per cup/gallon of tank water do you recommend using? It also seems like you experimented with a variety of soak times. Do you have a length of time you'd recommend or a regiment?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great writeup, thanks for sharing.

I think that RTN in the aquarium is frequently or maybe even usually caused by a pathogenic Vibrio like the ones found in the studies linked in this thread. While all (literally 100%) aquariums have some members of this genus, there is a lot of diversity in the group and we havent nailed down exactly which strain is causing problems.

Would love to know which kind of Vibrio was or is in your tank!
@AquaBiomics ... I just want to follow up to the P.M. that I sent to you last night and let others know what I have done.

Briefly, I have been having problems with SPS frags STN-ing over the past month. I have a tread about this on the SPS forum: "White tips....". After exhausting every possibility I can think of that might explain this problem, and since I have never seen anything like this in my 25 years of SPS-keeping, I started considering the possibility of a pathogenic bacteria, like vibrio. About 9 months ago I had 3 fish break out with vibrio-like skin lesions (that were successfully treated) so am wondering if this bacteria is still lingering and affecting the corals....(or, a related pathogen).

Yesterday, I dipped about 10 frags, most of them in very poor condition, in enrofloxacin (the veterinary equivalent to ciprofloxacin). 1 mg Enro can be considered to have the same "antibacterial activity" (for lack of a better term) as 1 mg Cipro.

I made a concentration of 113.5 mg/L of Enro (0.5cc of injectable Enro in 100 ml water) and dipped the frags for 30 min. Today, about 12 hours after the dip, none of the corals have perished or have shown any distress, although I cannot report any improvement. The fact that none died or have gotten worse could possibly be a "good sign." This was the first day in about a month that I did not find any "white tips" on my frags however there are very few frags left that haven't been "chopped" because of the dying tips. Once a frag is cut, the remainder of it, which may only be half the size of the original frag, seems to remain fairly stable. Even though I'm not real convinced the problem is vibrio or another pathogenic bacteria, I am considering treating the entire tank but am hoping to hear if @AquaBiomics thinks it might be a good idea for me to have a water sample analyzed first (and then again after the treatment).

Although this was just one simple "trial" it suggests that SPS frags can withstand dipping in this concentration of Enro (and therefore probably Cipro). This is a concentration about 1000 times greater than AquaBiomics' suggested dosage of 0.125 mg/L when treating a tank. However, I still have no idea if a pathogenic bacteria is present or if it has been effectively killed by the dipping.

Also regarding "bacteria," but on the "opposite end of the spectrum", is the idea that perhaps from the enormous number of water changes I have performed over the past 9 months due to a "tin problem", perhaps I have "washed out" beneficial bacteria. Again, maybe the analysis that AquaBiomics offers might be helpful for this as well.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread, trying to fight off a bad case of STN spreading through the tank. Have lost maybe 10 pieces in 2 months and have 6 more STN'ing from the bottom up. Revive and iodine, and fragging has slightly delayed some, made others worse.

Tank levels have been stable except a recent drop in phosphates using 2 doses of nopox then 2 doses of GFO bags from about 20ppb to 2 (nitrates around 20)

I happened to have some leftover 835mg amoxicillin so I used about 1/3rd for a 10 minute bath for 5 frags. We'll see how they look tomorrow /following on. Thanks for the write up

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add that I used Fish Aid's Amoxicillin on some frags that were RTNing. I used one capsule per cup of water and soaked for 10 minutes. I think rinsed and added back to the tank in the same stop. It seems like I have had a 50% success rate. Half of the time the RTNing would stop and I would start to see improvements and new growth, the other half of the time the frag just continued to RTN and die.

It's something at least.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible for you to try cipro?

"Our data suggested that, in addition to primary surgery, fluoroquinolones or third-generation cephalosporins plus minocycline are the best option for antibiotic treatment of NF caused by V. vulnificus."

Maybe Cipro+Doxy

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had two SBB acros go south one right after the other about 2 weeks ago. One looked like a goner, the other had about 1/4" to go but was the first to start showing signs. About 5 days ago I gave them a 20min dip in half a capsule of 3 year old amoxicillin. Yesterday when I got some new frags I moved these dead frags off to the side to make room. Tonight I zoomed in with my camera and saw polyps moving towards the top of both. Of course a still isn't gonna show them, but I'll post anyways. Actually went out on chewy and bought some more antibiotics for the future. Will likely give these another dip tomorrow.

Oh, and for transparency, I'm also starting up flatworm stop and coral booster therapy which I've had success with stimulating encrustment since these guys are pretty much fleshless right now.
20210214_180529.jpg

Not sure why they both went at once, but I have a sneaky suspicion that my asterina starfish are getting a little out of control and may have bit them and cause an infection. Frags have been in my tank for over 2 months. Today, I added a pair of harlequins to take care of the infestation.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back