What’s the deal with liveaquaria?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen posts from about a year or 2 ago and back saying that they are one of the best places to buy fish online, but recently I’ve only heard negative things about them. Something about changing ownership? I’ve also heard something like they get their supply from the same place petco does? Can someone clue me in on what the deal is with them?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the thread live aquaria do's and don'ts. Alot of people chimed in on it. Was a post i compiled

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 4 fish from them. I see 3 out of the 4, know where the 4th is if it is still alive. This last order all seems well.
Royal Gramma hid for over a week. Now out in back of aquarium
Pinstripe wrass out here and there.
Redfin wrasse used to be out but now hides (I have some big unruly damsels)
Court Jester Goby -- very tiny. Is out in his area.
Elegance coral. Arrived healthy. Struggling after 3-4 weeks

They do have good customer service. I've gotten credits from them in past

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the WALMART of online fish.
Really taking a chance buying fish sight unseen.

I've seen fish come in from them malnourished, with flukes, etc.... They just WING IT knowing they can always give you a 1yr in store credit

Much better to work with a LFS who has a good relationship with a fish wholesaler

BEST
Indonesian shipper >>> to Los Angeles wholesalers >>> to LFS (where you can see the fish prior to purchase) >>> TO YOU

TAKING CHANCES:
Indonesian shipper >>> to Los Angeles wholesale >>> to LIVEAQUARIA (warehoused with other sick fish) >>> TO YOU via most likely a half-ashed shipping method

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do not have a local fish store. Mine is over an hour away and I've had many a fish not make it from them. Another is over 1.5 hrs away. And neither offer ANY guarantee. In fact, not any of the stores in my area do. So often, there isn't much choice.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy from reputable on-line vendors like TSM. Price is higher but you will get a pristine specimen that has been cared for. Or buy from people around you that no longer want their fish. Don’t support a business that has no consideration for animal life. After all these are free animals that we pluck from the ocean for our pleasure. Let’s at least give them a fighting chance by buying from a reputable source.

Jewslim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen posts from about a year or 2 ago and back saying that they are one of the best places to buy fish online, but recently I’ve only heard negative things about them. Something about changing ownership? I’ve also heard something like they get their supply from the same place petco does? Can someone clue me in on what the deal is with them?
About 2 months ago...I bought my White Tail Tang Pal, "Tuxedo" At first he wasn't eating for 2 days with the exception for his continues grazing. Since then he moves on every food I put into the tank like a Torpedo.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on what you are buying. I would not buy a delicate fish from them other than Divers Den. I recently purchased a Blue Flasher wrasse from them that arrived healthy and well despite an extra day lay over in Memphis by FedEx. The shipment was well packaged. Also purchased a coral beauty from Divers Den that was very well packaged in a large tightly sealed bag. I have actually had worse experiences from some of the other well known on-line suppliers, I think they often get an undeserved negative bias just because they were once owned by Petco. TSM always seems to have a very limited selection of fish. I don't see why everyone recommends them other than the QT.

Jewslim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on what you are buying. I would not buy a delicate fish from them other than Divers Den. I recently purchased a Blue Flasher wrasse from them that arrived healthy and well despite an extra day lay over in Memphis by FedEx. The shipment was well packaged. Also purchased a coral beauty from Divers Den that was very well packaged in a large tightly sealed bag. I have actually had worse experiences from some of the other well known on-line suppliers, I think they often get an undeserved negative bias just because they were once owned by Petco. TSM always seems to have a very limited selection of fish. I don't see why everyone recommends them other than the QT.
I feel your pain with the taking big $$/Risk when buying online with some suppliers.
I probably need to do more research...but thanks for the info. Have anyone buy from Salty Underground?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back