What’s up with this birds nest?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the acros I’ve kept and currently got I’ve always had issues with birds nest for what ever reason.. got this ponape awhile back and the polyp extension is just crazy on this thing! They almost look like the flow would blow them off since I got super high flow but they don’t lol… it’s actually colored up beautifully and growing pretty well… just crazy looking to me..
IMG_0816.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like guttatus, ponope is hysterix I believe. Also very white base. I love these birdsnest but they always seem to die after they get large, maybe from lack of flow in the middle, they always randomly die one day if I didn’t keep them cut down. Looking good!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like guttatus, ponope is hysterix I believe. Also very white base. I love these birdsnest but they always seem to die after they get large, maybe from lack of flow in the middle, they always randomly die one day if I didn’t keep them cut down. Looking good!
I’ve never had luck with these things lol.. this one is growing well and the pe is crazy.

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it comes down to type of bird’s nest, where it came from, how deeply aquacultured it is(ie 10th gen frag), etc. I was just discussing this in another thread- sometimes it’s just the right spot in the tank and your parameters have shifted to the point where it’s most suitable for this particular coral.

Looks great and very happy to me.

Interestingly enough though, I remember reading an article a few years ago that talked about polyp extension in sps and there seemed to be quite a bit of conjecture as to whether it actually signified a healthier state than reduced polyp extension.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back