What auto feeder do you use?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want some ideas of what you use
Expensive or inexpensive and some pros and cons of it please. Got summer coming up with lots of time out of the house with one being 3 weeks away and want to start getting locked in.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim 3581 for dry food. Very reliable and easy to use, about $30. It has different mounting options, or it can sit on a flat surface. No complaints other than I forget how to program it and have to look it up!

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an aquarium coop feeder it’s simple but reliable

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim 3581 for dry food. Very reliable and easy to use, about $30. It has different mounting options, or it can sit on a flat surface. No complaints other than I forget how to program it and have to look it up!
How is the adjustability on amount of food? Also is a outlet fed, batter fed, or chargeable?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some cheap chinese piece of junk. Almost impossible to tell how often you have it set to dispense food. The dispensing door thing moves too easily so it needs to be reinforced with duct tape so it doesnt change inadvertently. When I set it up the first time I was laughing hysterical at how crappy it was. But after the duct tape engineering and testing how the programming works the thing never failed me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Neptune AFS on one tank and the eheim on another tank when I go on vacation. If you have an apex and want to make everything programmable with it then the AFS is okay. For the money the eheim works great.
Also, if you go with the AFS be aware that when it runs it makes an awful sound.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Neptune AFS

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did it run you? As well as how is the feeding hole sized? Seen some spit out a lot of pellets per feed
I won it, but am so happy with it and the ability to feed small amounts multiple times a day that I would buy another one. I think it is $300. Unsure of the feeding hole size, but it uses a slowly rotatong hopper/gear to push food out. I use the reef jerky. My fish absolutely love it and know where to gather when the flow from the mixing pump kicks on.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the adjustability on amount of food? Also is a outlet fed, batter fed, or chargeable?
It uses batteries and they last a long time. It is adjustable for number of times / day of feeding up to 4, and how much is dispensed each time. For dry food nothing more is needed. Here's a short video on programming and use.

Video

Last edited:

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do apex(s) or anything for my fish-room. I do use aquarium coop feeders on all my tanks though. Easy to program, USB charged. It’s the only auto feeder you’ll ever need.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim has worked well for me in the past.

For me a feeder ring/defroster was very helpful to keep dry food from just going down the overflow. I put it near a powerhead so the food gets pulled down into the tank once it is rehydrated instead of just sitting in the ring and rotting.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used multiple different feeders over the course of my reefing career.

If budget is a concern (and it always is), the Eheim mentioned above is definitely the best in that price level. It's reliable, it's simple, it's programmable and adjustable. It has its limits, but if you're feeding flakes or (especially) pellets it'll do the job and do it well.

If you have the budget to buy the best of the best, the Avast Plank is unmatched. The feeding/mixing tube regulates the actual release of your food into the aquarium, and it prevents a good chunk of the dispensed food from just going straight down the overflow. Additionally, since it allows the food to soak before being dispensed, it allows you to use freeze-dried food instead of limiting yourself to flakes and pellets.

The biggest drawback of the Plank, in addition to its cost, is the fact that you must have some external method - whether that be a timed outlet or an Apex or something similar - in order to control your feedings. The upside there is that your feeding schedule and length is customizable, but there's still some irritation in needing something external to control it.

I do not recommend Neptune's autofeeder. It's supposedly fine, but the one I got never worked properly and certainly didn't justify the price. In my experience, it exists to prove that Neptune could make a feeder, but it also proved that they shouldn't. Noisy, overcomplicated and unreliable, all to give you something that can be equaled with the much-cheaper Eheim feeder.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my main tank I use the Eheim auto feeder with the feeding station accessory. Relatively economical and super reliable! On my QT tank I originally used a cheap auto feeder frkm Amazon. That was a huge mistake. What happened after a month of usage is the screen got fogged up due to the moisture from the tank which made the display very hard to read. After 2 months or so the food inside started to get wet and spoil due to moisture from the tank. I eventually had to replace that feeder with the Eheim feeder + feeding station which have been working on the QT tank without issue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back