What could it be? (Lysmata Amboinensis)

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I got this lovely Lysmata Amboinensis two weeks ago. Super active, curious, eating a lot and even moulting yesterday.

She has this white spot only on one side of her body since the beginning and to me it seems it's getting a bit bigger but I can be wrong. What can it be? Thank you all!

IMG_0625.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a parasitic isopod:
@DaJMasta may be able to help:
You can find a few videos on removal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys,

I got this lovely Lysmata Amboinensis two weeks ago. Super active, curious, eating a lot and even moulting yesterday.

She has this white spot only on one side of her body since the beginning and to me it seems it's getting a bit bigger but I can be wrong. What can it be? Thank you all!

IMG_0625.jpg
Looks to be skeletal. Assure calcium is not low and nitrates not elevated

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

IMG_0625.jpg
Most likely it is a Epicaridean isopod. Surgical removal is risky as the host shrimp can only repair damage to its shell when it molts again.

Jay

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it is a Epicaridean isopod. Surgical removal is risky as the host shrimp can only repair damage to its shell when it molts again.

Jay
What should I do? Any recommendations?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These guys are delicate. The safest thing you can do is dose 80% praziPro as Hyposalinity will kill the shrimp. I see this now on a large screen and agree on pod. Im surprised it did not remove with molt which says its attached to the shrimp well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since the shrimp JUST molted, IMO, you should wait a bit. The shrimp may molt again in 3 to 4 weeks. Right before that time, you might then consider surgery to remove the isopod. Hopefully, then the shell will heal with the next molt.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are delicate. The safest thing you can do is dose 80% praziPro as Hyposalinity will kill the shrimp. I see this now on a large screen and agree on pod. Im surprised it did not remove with molt which says its attached to the shrimp well
Will prazipro kill the isopod?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will prazipro kill the isopod?
Prazipro is only effective against flukes and tapeworms, not isopods. Isopods are closely related to shrimp. Anything that will kill the isopod, will also kill the shrimp.

Jay

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is only effective against flukes and tapeworms, not isopods. Isopods are closely related to shrimp. Anything that will kill the isopod, will also kill the shrimp.

Jay
Thanks!

One little question since I am a newbie. Is the shrimp gonna die if I don't do anything?

Is this parasite gonna move to another member of my tank?

Kind regards,
Gabriele

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

One little question since I am a newbie. Is the shrimp gonna die if I don't do anything?

Is this parasite gonna move to another member of my tank?

Kind regards,
Gabriele

Yes, the shrimp could die from this, but there is not good data on how many die versus how many survive. It won't spread to other animals.

Jay

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the shrimp could die from this, but there is not good data on how many die versus how many survive. It won't spread to other animals.

Jay
Thanks! Then, I will proceed to extract the pod. I am scaredddd

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, quick update:

I just found him dead. He is the first dead of my tank. I found the two hermits and the crab eating him and in a couple of hours the poor body completely disappeared. I believe the cause it's the isopod since I remember yesterday it was huge.

All the creatures of my tank are very peaceful so I highly doubt my two clumsy hermits killed him. That shrimp was very fast in movement.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually thinking where the isopod is since the hermits and the crab ate the whole shrimp in two hours. Maybe they ate it?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. In my understanding, isopods wouldn't grow that quickly if it had gotten noticeably larger in the course of a week. Not sure I can shed any light on it beyond that, but I at least don't think it's the kind of isopod I've seen a couple times in other shrimp.

I know that dark spots can be bacterial infections, perhaps there's an infection that shows externally as a light spot like this?

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not that noticeably larger but still big for his size. He was super active, and never showed any weird act. No dark spots.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back