Removing a parasitic isopod from a shrimp

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this technique a year or so ago on youtube when I had a Caribbean white spot cleaner shrimp with an obvious isopod, and I successfully removed it with only slight modifications to the method. I just got an Urocaridella antonbruunii shrimp with a smaller isopod lump, and I documented and described my removal procedure with a video. Not especially hard to do, this was only my second time doing it, but you do need a small tool to work under the shell of such a small shrimp.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this technique a year or so ago on youtube when I had a Caribbean white spot cleaner shrimp with an obvious isopod, and I successfully removed it with only slight modifications to the method. I just got an Urocaridella antonbruunii shrimp with a smaller isopod lump, and I documented and described my removal procedure with a video. Not especially hard to do, this was only my second time doing it, but you do need a small tool to work under the shell of such a small shrimp.

Well done. I have performed the same removal on peppermint shrimp. A hooked dental tool has done the trick for me. I think I posted the clip on WAMAS or Coral Reef Club FB page a year or two ago.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back