What Else Would You Add

DominantWhiteShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

Finally reaching the 1 year mark on my first full custom build and it’s coming along great! I’ve been in the hobby all my life thanks to my family and couldn’t imagine life without a tank :). I’ve got 5 other established around the house as well (Reefs, QT, cichlid)

This Tank is 120gal reef with 30gal sump. 2x MP40s, Varios 6 Return, Elite 150 Skimmer, 3x XR15s G4, Apex, doser, etc.

Current inhabitants include:

- Sailfin Tang
- Powder Brown Tang
- Panther Grouper
- Blue Hippo Tang
- Melanarus Wrasse
- Formosa Wrasse
- Magnificent Foxface x2
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Tux Urchins and Assorted CUC

Tank is pretty perfect at the moment and doesn’t necessarily need anything but I always look and wonder what else I could add to the tank to add more color and variety! The only barriers are the two resident predators, the panther grouper and the snowflake eel, who the former will attempt to eat anything he thinks he can fit in his mouth (attempted to eat the Nori Clip on several occasions lol.) He’s a bit of an ******* but has a great personality and I’ve had him for three years so he’s sticking around for the moment...

Thoughts include a harlequin tusk, possibly additional tangs (challenging as the PB and Sail are bullies), or additional wrasses.... Maybe a large Maroon (inedible size for the panther).... any suggesestions?!

Happy to send other pictures of the tank!

Thanks and Happy Reefing!

3D683EB0-010F-4B80-987B-C8AB0375809D.jpeg
FA7CE537-2B2F-4F7F-A6AF-3F3EE57271C5.jpeg

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a sailfin tang that tends to bully some of my fish. And there are so many more fish that I want to get:

coral beauty angel or flame angel
anthias
wrasse
maybe a bellus or another tang

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For color in a tank with a predator fish like the grouper I would go with a flame angel. Beautiful,active and tuff as nails

OP
OP
DominantWhiteShark

DominantWhiteShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a sailfin tang that tends to bully some of my fish. And there are so many more fish that I want to get:

coral beauty angel or flame angel
anthias
wrasse
maybe a bellus or another tang

I feel like there will always be more I want haha - hence why I keep setting up tanks! Didnt consider the bellus or a swallowtail etc. not a bad option!

For color in a tank with a predator fish like the grouper I would go with a flame angel. Beautiful,active and tuff as nails

Tough is def a requirement! That's not a bad call. Those Chistmas Island Flame's pop so bright even my colorblind butt can see it lolol

I think you're done with stock to be honest. You seem to have found that sweet spot. It's temptation and excitement you're chasing. Your setup is gorgeous.

Thanks, mate! I hear you there for sure. Its the constant battle of let perfect be perfect or push the limit. Maybe its just time to set up another tank ;Wideyed. I have an empty QT that could use some inhabitants fore the time being ;Greedy

OP
OP
DominantWhiteShark

DominantWhiteShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I would do some removing, rather than adding.

it might come to that if/when this panther keeps getting on my nerves lol. Ive had him since he was like 2in but He just stole two sheets of nori off the clip back to back like a jerk. Im gonna have to catch him with a line and a circle hook if it comes to it - sneaky little devil ;Dead

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you set up another tank with the grouper I had a lionfish and eel with one before and it was awesome. Could do some triggers like a clown and Niger and pink tail. Would be a cool predator tank. Oh and a puffer!!!!

OP
OP
DominantWhiteShark

DominantWhiteShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you set up another tank with the grouper I had a lionfish and eel with one before and it was awesome. Could do some triggers like a clown and Niger and pink tail. Would be a cool predator tank. Oh and a puffer!!!!

I have thought of doing just that! Originally the panther was added to an eel and shark tank at the other house and was just a predator tank... unfortunately my girlfriend fell in love with his personality and he had to come to the main house lol. The tank is an old school UGF set up tho so i dont trust it 100%. If i ever move that old shark/eel tank over that is going to be the plan cuz i can do frequent WCs and keep up with the UGF

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a predator tank, but a lot of members on here have tried to get me away from doing a lion fish, grouper, eel, triggers and puffer. They seem to have experience saying the lion fish would get picked on by the triggers.
I have a 220 FOWLR currently stocked with a clown trigger, Picasso Trigger and spiny box puffer.
the box puffer is the king of the castle currently at 4”.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back