What have I done

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all new to the forum however just posting. My son we got a 16 gallon biocube. We stocked it with two clownfish, a bicolor blenny, a Randall’s goby and a chromis. Since then I began to stock it with coral. We’re approximately three months in and have gone without any major hiccups… well besides a random peppermint shrimp death and a LPS coral death.

That said. I think I got the itch. My son has been pleading for a bigger tank so he can have more fish, and I’m entertaining going from 16 gallon to 75-125 gallon. I’m debating on building a tank (I am very good at DIY woodworking building etc). That said. Is it better to pick up a tank from Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, build one, or buy new?

money is and isn’t a huge factor here. Satisfaction is. The project will turn into a picture frame built in reef tank near my battle station. That said. I’m also looking to make it an efficient project. Being in the basement and a newer home, I can easily cut the waterline and create a direct tap line for a RO/Di unit. Also thinking of running a hose through the joists and out the rim joist of the house so I can discharge salt water changes. I live in jersey. Anyone have any ideas if this idea is crazy. This is just the beginning/planning stages. This will be an entertaining build, but I would love feedback and ideas. My basement is humid as well. I will be getting w dehumidifier. Anyone knows how much the reef tank will suffer with a dehumidifier installed as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1F9075D7-68EC-4DE5-8164-28DB5C2780D2.gif

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Lots of good deals on R2R and fb marketplace. Can’t wait to see your build thread once you get your tank up and running!
Thanks! Can’t wait myself. It’s going to be interesting adventure. Can’t wait to post pics of the progress either.

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome thing to do with your son! Glad you’re here!
Thanks! Well we can’t do a dog or cat so fish is the next best thing and the wife is pretty accepting of the 16 gallon and upgrading. So if the boss gives a green light on something I’m not going to fight it

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just me but I’d be hesitant to buy a used tank. Just doesn’t seem to be worth the risk. A brand new 90G is what … $300? The amount of coral, fish and what we else you put in there will dwarf the cost diff between a used tank and new.

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just me but I’d be hesitant to buy a used tank. Just doesn’t seem to be worth the risk. A brand new 90G is what … $300? The amount of coral, fish and what we else you put in there will dwarf the cost diff between a used tank and new.
Where would you buy the 90? Haven’t seen any for $300?

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just whatever you decide to do, do not buy a used redsea reefer tank. Plenty of burst seam horror stories all over this and other forums! Welcome to the club my friend!
Thanks I have no intention of doing so. I’ll build my own 2x4 or 2x12 supports. Being picture framed I won’t need I fancy bases

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Buying used can save a lot of money but you do need to be careful. If possible look at other tank equipment the seller is listing to see how well they took care of things generally. If buying a used glass tank take a good look at the silicone seams. If you see any tears, missing spots or even nicks/gouges, I'd pass. Few things in this hobby are more upsetting than a burst seam. That said, even a new tank can have issues, just they are usually covered by a warranty. Good luck and have fun.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back