OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, welcome and good luck. Personally I would go new, just for the peace of mind with warranty’s etc. but I’m sure there are some great second hand deals out there! Either way good luck and can’t wait to see the build thread
Where would you go for a new tank? For a 90 -125 gallon. Im willing to drill my tank as well.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Decisions! I have a 30, 32 and a 180. I really love the 180 and the 32 has several smaller fish that are very active. I did buy the 180 used and kind of wish I bought new. There are several scratches that are seen because I installed better lighting. Many people have been on the forum stating that there tanks are 20+ years old. Comments have been made about keeping away from some manufacturers. All three of mine are glass. You can pump the water outside or even into a drain. When using a drain, I run regular water behind the salt water to help flush out the salt residual. I did build my own cabinet for the 180 but bought the manufacturers cabinet for the bio cube. You do have options and I'm sure you will decide what is best for you.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw when you say build a tank do you mean build a stand and by picture framed do you mean in-wall?

I got my 90G 2 years ago for around $300 iirc. All glass or aqueon. Can’t remember name but it was one of the mass produced ones from an LFS in Pittsburgh

Sheesh. Just looked them up. $549 now. Now I’m second guessing my memory and need to find my receipt.

Can't find receipt but looked it up and it was a seapora 90.

Show's at $395 and in stock where I bought it from:
SKU: 250086

SEAPORA 90 GALLON TANK W/ OVERFLOW 48x18x24​

IN STOCK
instorepickup
PRICE: $395.99

Last edited:

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you go for a new tank? For a 90 -125 gallon. Im willing to drill my tank as well.
Hey, I’m in the UK so prob not much help.. I’ve done the online route and also from my local fish shop. Both worked out well but my latest was the lfs and was great to see it on display before deciding.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be getting w dehumidifier. Anyone knows how much the reef tank will suffer with a dehumidifier installed as well?
The tank will not suffer, at most you'll have to add more water due to evaporation daily.

Stay away from older redsea aquariums, not even sure if the newer models are fixed. They are prone to seam breaks and nightmares. The issue was detected mostly with the stand. You can find a lot of information on that, I don't have it.

You can not treat ich with coral. The coral will die and so will inverts. You probably know that already.

The bigger the tank you can get, the more fish options you get.

Welcome to R2R and
Happy reefing!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANG-WELCOME.gif

You have great ambition. Building a stand is a piece of cake, building an aquarium is a different story. What size tank are you considering?

Water evaporation from you tank will be something you will need to address. Many hobbyists use Automatic Top Off systems. A dehumidifier might alter the amount of evaporation from the tank but should not really cause any problems for you.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Decisions! I have a 30, 32 and a 180. I really love the 180 and the 32 has several smaller fish that are very active. I did buy the 180 used and kind of wish I bought new. There are several scratches that are seen because I installed better lighting. Many people have been on the forum stating that there tanks are 20+ years old. Comments have been made about keeping away from some manufacturers. All three of mine are glass. You can pump the water outside or even into a drain. When using a drain, I run regular water behind the salt water to help flush out the salt residual. I did build my own cabinet for the 180 but bought the manufacturers cabinet for the bio cube. You do have options and I'm sure you will decide what is best for you.
So would you just do direct discharge against the house or run the line along the siding and into a gutter spout?

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANG-WELCOME.gif

You have great ambition. Building a stand is a piece of cake, building an aquarium is a different story. What size tank are you considering?

Water evaporation from you tank will be something you will need to address. Many hobbyists use Automatic Top Off systems. A dehumidifier might alter the amount of evaporation from the tank but should not really cause any problems for you.

Good Luck.
Thanks. Ambition? Maybe, stupidity? Maybe. Crazy? Maybe? Where am I going with this…. Anyway. 90-125.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it!!! For many years I avidly followed the GARF website and kept saying “some day” to this DIY build or to their 500:

they give cut lists, instructions & everything

And I planned eventually to order their “Garf grunge” “reef janitors” and all of Sally Jo’s beautiful corals. But I kept procrastinating.

Now I’ve finally started my reef tank but sadly it’s too late & they have retired. :(
Lots of the links on their site are broken, but if you google you can still get to the pages even if the links are broken. I’m so thankful for all their hard work and inspiration!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 76 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back