OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following is image I just took, I had one shrimp in panty hose and I not sure Coral is active. One of Hermits in lower right.

Attachments

• 13.5_050924.jpg
    13.5_050924.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 14

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also remove the shrimp . Well I'd let the crabs eat it for a hour or two then remove the uneaten bit

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the shrimp. There is no need to rot garbage in your aquarium
Little confused, how do I get ammonia up - I thought with raw cottail shrimp in there, it would decay and increase ammonia. It has been a month, just though it would start the cycle.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little confused, how do I get ammonia up - I thought with raw cottail shrimp in there, it would decay and increase ammonia. It has been a month, just though it would start the cycle.
You don’t want ammonia up! The live rock is converting it to nitrates! That’s what a cycle is! Your tank is fine just add what ever you want for live stock and feed them.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want ammonia up! The live rock is converting it to nitrates! That’s what a cycle is! Your tank is fine just add what ever you want for live stock and feed them.
Yes I understand that I need Nitrates as end game, but how I get Nitrates. What do you mean by IT in converting it to nitrates. Is this Ammonia? if so I never had any ammonia yet in cycle so there is nothing to convert. I am getting Algae and it on the dry rock also.

As I understand cycles, it starts out as Ammonia, then Nitrite and finally Nitrate. I currently have none of those.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand that I need Nitrates as end game, but how I get Nitrates. What do you mean by IT in converting it to nitrates. Is this Ammonia? if so I never had any ammonia yet in cycle so there is nothing to convert. I am getting Algae and it on the dry rock also.

As I understand cycles, it starts out as Ammonia, then Nitrite and finally Nitrate. I currently have none of those.
Ammonia is 100% being produced by the critters you have in there. It’s just either being consumed or converted as soon as it’s produced so you’re not seeing any in your test results.

If you have no nitrates showing up in tests it’s because the organisms in there that consume nitrates (and ammonia), like corals and algae, are consuming them as fast as they’re being produced.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 100% being produced by the critters you have in there. It’s just either being consumed or converted as soon as it’s produced so you’re not seeing any in your test results.

If you have no nitrates showing up in tests it’s because the organisms in there that consume nitrates (and ammonia), like corals and algae, are consuming them as fast as they’re being produced.
I think you misunderstand, I never had any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates detected. This is same condition as when I started the tank. I think my coral is not doing good.

As for organisms, I have the following

1 Scarlet Hermit Crab
2 Red Tip Hermit Crabs
1 Halloween Hermit Crab

Note this crabs only added in last 4 days and I had Algae before that.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's say someone built a skip cycle reef tank

those do exist

what would a picture of one look like? hint: there will likely be pigment differences between live and dry rocks

the coralline-colored areas of that rock pic, are those wet live rocks from a pet store, actual live rock or were they dry

cuz the white ones on the end/dry rock/see how easy those stand out> those are in question of cycle status

the pigmented rocks are not in question of cycle status, if that's wet live rock from a pet store. if it's painted dry purple rock, then it's not live. it's really hard to discern who has real live rock nowadays.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a biomarker was detected when I pulled up this pic on full screen. was curious to see live rock details, and then something even greater stood out as a tell that the system was indeed cycled.

off a color in his full tank pic. not from any other factor in this whole thread

what is the key pigment in the picture above?

name that color. The winner gets first mention in cycling trivia from updated cycling science 2023 thread :)

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a biomarker was detected when I pulled up this pic on full screen. was curious to see live rock details, and then something even greater stood out as a tell that the system was indeed cycled.

off a color in his full tank pic. not from any other factor in this whole thread

what is the key pigment in the picture above?

name that color. The winner gets first mention in cycling trivia from updated cycling science 2023 thread :)

The purple color rock came from the store with live saltwater fish in tank. I believe these rocks been there a while.

The lighter color came from dry rock package purchase from store. It was originally white and algae spreaded to them.

This was happening before I added the crabs. Most of rock is is larger live rock which are purple.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have a skip cycle reef tank.

the reason you weren't told that, is because the mods feel updated cycling science isn't sticky worthy lol.

-let the old guard prevail!

but the truth is thats a plain skip cycle setup.

read this thread, it's about your type of tank:

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's say someone built a skip cycle reef tank

those do exist

what would a picture of one look like? hint: there will likely be pigment differences between live and dry rocks

the coralline-colored areas of that rock pic, are those wet live rocks from a pet store, actual live rock or were they dry

cuz the white ones on the end/dry rock/see how easy those stand out> those are in question of cycle status

the pigmented rocks are not in question of cycle status, if that's wet live rock from a pet store. if it's painted dry purple rock, then it's not live. it's really hard to discern who has real live rock nowadays.

If the purple rock is painted than PetCo is doing a bad thing, they have live fish in their tanks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have the right ones. I know petco rocks they are cured.

you really do have a skip cycle tank. read that thread lemme know what you think.

every tank in that thread is a skip cycle tank, like yours/due to one reason: that wet live rock you bought was real, and good. it's cured. petco sells cured rocks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ending irony is that you can't do this type of cycle slowly, even if you wanted to

this also means anyone that sold you bottle bac for this process was not guilty of high crimes, they're guilty of not getting to read a sticky on updated cycling science because it's too controversial. :)

people naturally think bottle bac has to be added to all cycles

it doesn't. the reason we haven't been told which type of cycle doesn't require bottle bac, is because nobody wants to elevate new and improved cycling science for true work. we have to earn our keep in good old work threads, which your tank is now part of.

B

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and, for readers on visual benthic cue verification in cycle troubleshoots, that green blanket of new cyano/algae that covers the white surfaces/suspect surfaces also means they're cycled.

even if his purple areas were caribsea dry painted dry rock, everything has been running long enough to have secondary growth pigmentation all over the place when the picture is opened to full screen. cycle bacteria deposit before those green colors we can see.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have the right ones. I know petco rocks they are cured.

you really do have a skip cycle tank. read that thread lemme know what you think.

every tank in that thread is a skip cycle tank, like yours/due to one reason: that wet live rock you bought was real, and good. it's cured. petco sells cured rocks.
I also have live sand in the the tank. Petco stated that it cured rock, But I do have the lighter color dry rock.

But not actually sure what skip cycle means.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back