What is on my clowns lip?

Kelstofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was fungus so it rested with maracyn oxy and it seemed to improve/ his overall energy level improved during treatment. I stopped treatment because ammonia in my tank spiked

But the bump is back, and worse. Should I continue with maracyn? Or is there something better for fungus? IS it fungus? I can’t find any other info aside from

potential fungus

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your previous threads, it seems the fishmedics haven't been responding for you, so - in case they don't respond this time - let's see if @Jay Hemdal has some answers for you.

As a reminder, posting in the disease forum (linked below) will be a lot more effective at getting you help for these issues (the fishmedics are very good at replying in that forum):

OP
OP
Kelstofer

Kelstofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your previous threads, it seems the fishmedics haven't been responding for you, so - in case they don't respond this time - let's see if @Jay Hemdal has some answers for you.

As a reminder, posting in the disease forum (linked below) will be a lot more effective at getting you help for these issues (the fishmedics are very good at replying in that forum):
Thank you, I’m new to reef2reef so still not super sure where to post for the best results

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’m new to reef2reef so still not super sure where to post for the best results

Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, posting fish health problems in the Fish Disease Forum will get the fastest results - all posts there are automatically tagged for the Fish Medic team. Posts in other areas only come to our attention if somebody calls us in, like @ISpeakForTheSeas did here.

In this case, although I only see one clown in the images, it looks like you have more than one, correct? If so, they are likely fighting. If they were paired up properly, I would see both together in the same photo. You may never see them fight because when you are in the room watching them, they stop fighting and watch you.

There could also be some disease or water quality issue going on, but I would need more background information to dig into that. This post explains that:

Jay

OP
OP
Kelstofer

Kelstofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do fight, they had been getting along and swimming together but we had to remove some decorations that people were telling me weren’t safe for my tank. But they had already begun hosting those decorations. So I do think it stressed them out and since then they’ve been fighting worse. The other clown has nipped fins which I was told is fine, and they are growing back since initially being nipped

I think these videos show his chin better, it started out just white no red at all now it’s red (sorry need to clean my glass)

As for my parameters I need a new test kit because I’ve been using the Fluval master test set (because it had been on sale) but since have found it’s not at all accurate

Based on my last test with it though these were my parameters
Salinity-1.025
Ph-7
Nitrite- 0.1
Nitrate- 20 (my previous test showed this as 50 so these dropped a lot in about a weeks time)
And the ammonia test is completely inaccurate so I’ve been relying on a deaden ammonia alert which had been at 0 but is showing as 0.05ppm for the past few days I think from me dosing with maracyn oxy

I did a water change two days ago and now have a TON of algae growing but haven’t retested because im waiting on a more accurate test to come

Attachments

• IMG_6445.mov
    60.1 MB
  • IMG_6447.mov
    30.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do fight, they had been getting along and swimming together but we had to remove some decorations that people were telling me weren’t safe for my tank. But they had already begun hosting those decorations. So I do think it stressed them out and since then they’ve been fighting worse. The other clown has nipped fins which I was told is fine, and they are growing back since initially being nipped

I think these videos show his chin better, it started out just white no red at all now it’s red (sorry need to clean my glass)

As for my parameters I need a new test kit because I’ve been using the Fluval master test set (because it had been on sale) but since have found it’s not at all accurate

Based on my last test with it though these were my parameters
Salinity-1.025
Ph-7
Nitrite- 0.1
Nitrate- 20 (my previous test showed this as 50 so these dropped a lot in about a weeks time)
And the ammonia test is completely inaccurate so I’ve been relying on a deaden ammonia alert which had been at 0 but is showing as 0.05ppm for the past few days I think from me dosing with maracyn oxy

I did a water change two days ago and now have a TON of algae growing but haven’t retested because im waiting on a more accurate test to come
I do think you need to isolate the two clowns from one another - I like to use tank dividers for that.

OP
OP
Kelstofer

Kelstofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you need to isolate the two clowns from one another - I like to use tank dividers for that.
Do they have any hope of pairing eventually? Based on my research before I removed the decorations the two of them were getting along/ doing “the twitch” (which the white one has been doing) but after changing the rank they did get more aggressive toward one another

But I’ll definitely separate them if I have to, I only have the one tank so I’ll look into dividers

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have any hope of pairing eventually? Based on my research before I removed the decorations the two of them were getting along/ doing “the twitch” (which the white one has been doing) but after changing the rank they did get more aggressive toward one another

But I’ll definitely separate them if I have to, I only have the one tank so I’ll look into dividers
You can try reintroducing them - first get them separated and bulked up, then remove the divider and see how they do. If they fight more than a day or two, drop the divider back in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back