What is that!! A R2R guide to common new tank hitchhikers.

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help ID please! Peanut worm hopefully?!
IMG_3913.jpeg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yasmin1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, any idea what this could be? Never moved out of this spot but looks like a claw either opened or closed, just snapped shut when bristleworm went near. Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 40

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, any idea what this could be? Never moved out of this spot but looks like a claw either opened or closed, just snapped shut when bristleworm went near. Any help greatly appreciated!
That is a man-eating Moray!!!!
Kidding aside, I think it is a bivalve of some kind. Filter feeder.

Last edited:

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS found this lil critter a couple days ago just as he was about to dip some new coral. I'm even surprised he saw it at all at bottom of his container. When he showed me, i immediately said baby aiptasia.
NOT!
I went home and got my Jewelers loupe (5X).
it is about 1/8inch across, with about 12 or 13 arms(tentacles). It was firmly attached to the bottom of the plastic cup. But while taking a video, it crawled just like an octopus and moved about a 1/4 inch.
Ive done a bit of searching(googling) and cant find anything quite like it.
okay people, what ya think?
The video only shows 9 or 10 arms, but there are 12 or 13!!

Attachments

• 20240504_133200.mp4
    9.3 MB

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS found this lil critter a couple days ago just as he was about to dip some new coral. I'm even surprised he saw it at all at bottom of his container. When he showed me, i immediately said baby aiptasia.
NOT!
it is about 1/8inch across, with about 12 or 13 arms(tentacles). It was firmly attached to the bottom of the plastic cup. But while taking a video, it crawled just like an octopus and moved about a 1/4 inch.
I think we can safely rule out any arthropod, dosent look to be any hydroid I've ever seen, I don't think an anemone would get detached like that and it dosent appear to be a starfish of any kind. You have me stumped! It kinda looks like the feeding arms of something like a Medusa worm or other cuke, which would be my closest guess. @ISpeakForTheSeas @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOT!
I think we can safely rule out any arthropod, dosent look to be any hydroid I've ever seen, I don't think an anemone would get detached like that and it dosent appear to be a starfish of any kind. You have me stumped! It kinda looks like the feeding arms of something like a Medusa worm or other cuke, which would be my closest guess. @ISpeakForTheSeas @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal?
Looks like it may be a very small Swimming Anemone, Boloceroides mcmurrichi. For a fairly similarly sized specimen to compare with:

djohnson610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great writeup! Didn't realize hydroids were considered bad. See them from time to time on my glass...but very few at that. Why are they bad?
Hydroids are predatory. Related to jellyfish and can sting fish and corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
NOT!
hydrozoan and will move about the tank. Catch it and discard

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 75.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 14 10.9%
Back