What is this on my blenny?

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black combtooth blenny that came out of QT about 2 weeks ago. Saw him flash against rocks and sand several times tonight.

Worth mentioning I noticed a deceased clown tonight. Unsure cause of death, hard to tell post mortem. The fish were introduced at the same time. Both went through the quarantine procedure from Dr. Reef.

PXL_20240209_052704759.jpg PXL_20240209_052639071.jpg PXL_20240209_052707177_exported_stabilized_1707457095670.gif

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black combtooth blenny that came out of QT about 2 weeks ago. Saw him flash against rocks and sand several times tonight.

Worth mentioning I noticed a deceased clown tonight. Unsure cause of death, hard to tell post mortem. The fish were introduced at the same time. Both went through the quarantine procedure from Dr. Reef.

PXL_20240209_052704759.jpg PXL_20240209_052639071.jpg PXL_20240209_052707177_exported_stabilized_1707457095670.gif
Were these quarantined or just “conditioned”? Dr Reef sells fish two ways.

The clownfish dying is of course suspicious. The large white spots on the blenny isn’t ick, I see a couple of smaller spots on the fin that could be ich, but I doubt it.

Is the blenny breathing fast?
Is it still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if this works. Different angle, but can hopefully get an idea of respiration. I'll watch him closely tonight at feeding.

All fish were purchased as quarantined

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if this works. Different angle, but can hopefully get an idea of respiration. I'll watch him closely tonight at feeding.

All fish were purchased as quarantined

It is breathing really deeply and a bit faster than it should. Gill diseases can be bacterial, protozoan or flukes. Trouble is, I don’t have any clear symptoms to put you in one direction or another.

If you could capture the fish (tough to do with blennies!) you could give it a 5 minute FW dip. If the fish then improves the next day, you can conclude it has flukes and treat the tank with Prazipro.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay!

He ate tonight and was not shy about it at all. After spending much time observing him, I believe the "spots" I was concerned about are just part of his "tribal" markings.

The only thing I'm left with are the instances of flashing. So far I only saw once tonight, as opposed to several times yesterday evening.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I see more fish flashing now. I suppose treating the DT with prazipro is the best route now?

The bottle I have now expired in January - I've ordered a new one. Is it ok to do the first dose with the bottle I have now?

Edit:
Found this on Hikaris website:
STABILITY
Aquarium Solutions® Liquid PraziPro® is stable indefinitely if kept well closed when not in use. A nominal 2.5-year expiration dating, from the date of manufacture, is used on the product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the second round of prazi tonight. Here's a couple pictures. The videos I captured ended up not being good quality - I'll have to get another one.

PXL_20240219_042125415.jpg PXL_20240219_041958040.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised to see all of those dots on it. I'm not sure what to make of them.

The behavior in general seems improved - significantly less flashing (although still some), seems plenty active (no lethargy) and eats like a pig.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised to see all of those dots on it. I'm not sure what to make of them.

The behavior in general seems improved - significantly less flashing (although still some), seems plenty active (no lethargy) and eats like a pig.
I think that’s mucus from skin irritation. It doesn’t look too great to me. I suppose the drug could cause this and maybe it’s normal… Worried about your water quality though? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, are parameters in check in general? What are they currently?

Edit: We really need a clearer picture on white light. The more I look at this the more I don’t like it.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s mucus from skin irritation. It doesn’t look too great to me. I suppose the drug could cause this and maybe it’s normal… Worried about your water quality though? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, are parameters in check in general? What are they currently?

Edit: We really need a clearer picture on white light. The more I look at this the more I don’t like it.
I can try to get better pictures tomorrow! I think the white light (cool) was the only light on though.

I honestly don't test for nitrite and ammonia. My most recent parameters are:

Phosphate .11ppm
Nitrate 13ppm
Alk 10.6
Temp 78-79
Sg 1.026

I do have an icp test results from water taken at end of January.

Tank is about 9 months old. Those parameters are pretty consistent with the exception of the nitrate that has slowly come down from 50 over the past 3 or 4 months.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did the spots show up all at once? Some of them on the body are larger and could just be mucus, but there are a lot of round spots on the fins that I can’t rule out as being ich.

These could also be sand grains stuck to the fish, but there sure is a lot of them.

This is not likely to be a water quality issue - the first video showed some corals, if they are still fine, this is not a water quality issue.

Finally, it may be the shadows on the fish, but it looks thin.

Awaiting new pictures…….

Jay

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the spots show up all at once? Some of them on the body are larger and could just be mucus, but there are a lot of round spots on the fins that I can’t rule out as being ich.

These could also be sand grains stuck to the fish, but there sure is a lot of them.

This is not likely to be a water quality issue - the first video showed some corals, if they are still fine, this is not a water quality issue.

Finally, it may be the shadows on the fish, but it looks thin.

Awaiting new pictures…….

Jay
Unfortunately it passed away today. Everyone else is looking ok. I hope whatever it was stops with this guy.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ree
Unfortunately it passed away today. Everyone else is looking ok. I hope whatever it was stops with this guy.
Well did you take some good photos of it so we can help you make that happen?

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this may be related to my recent fish troubles. Saw this on my clownfish tonight. I'm concerned this will spread to the other fish.

Any idea what it is and advice to move forward? Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20240226_045341348.MP_exported_1177.jpg
    PXL_20240226_045341348.MP_exported_1177.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 30

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this may be related to my recent fish troubles. Saw this on my clownfish tonight. I'm concerned this will spread to the other fish.

Yeah, you have a disease and should be concerned for it and the others, it looks like it will be lethal if you don't intervene. It's probably ick from what I can tell but it's blurry. What other fish do you have? You will likely need to pull them to treat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks like a moderately severe ich infection. Treatment for that would be coppersafe or hyposalinity in a treatment tank for 30 days and to leave this tank fishless fo 60 days. Not easy, I know, but that’s really the only course of action.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it had passed when I woke up this morning.

What's left in the tank:
Tomini Tang (the last surviving fish from the Dr. Reef's order)
Lubbock's Wrasse (model citizen, one of the first fish introduced into the tank ~6 months ago, looks and behavior is great)
Diamond Goby (same as wrasse)
Purple Firefish
Handful of inverts - urchin, shrimp, snails, hermits, emeralds, etc.

Is there way I can treat in DT? H2O2 dosing with a UV sterilizer?

I can setup a QT with copper, but I'm positive I'd have to completely tear down my DT to capture the inhabitants.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back