What is this on my blenny?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it had passed when I woke up this morning.

What's left in the tank:
Tomini Tang (the last surviving fish from the Dr. Reef's order)
Lubbock's Wrasse (model citizen, one of the first fish introduced into the tank ~6 months ago, looks and behavior is great)
Diamond Goby (same as wrasse)
Purple Firefish
Handful of inverts - urchin, shrimp, snails, hermits, emeralds, etc.

Is there way I can treat in DT? H2O2 dosing with a UV sterilizer?

I can setup a QT with copper, but I'm positive I'd have to completely tear down my DT to capture the inhabitants.

It is unlikely that you will be able to manage ich in a tank where fish have begun to die from it....the ich parasite multiplies geometrically, and when it hits a certain number, it goes out of control without proper treatment.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate news to hear, but I thank you both for your help. Take care
It is possible you could manage but you might have more losses. Some fish are more resilient. I’ve had it in my system years ago and it did kill some fish. My cleaner gobies were actually very sensitive to it. I did not treat it. Just good water chemistry and nutrition. Some of my other fish got mild cases. They ultimately shook it off. That was about 5 years ago. Many of those fish are still with me, I’ve had no ick since. I do quarantine still, but in theory it’s still present but it never appeared again at all, even on new additions.

This may not work for you at all. It’s not working out so well so far fwiw. It’s not considered best practice but it is common and it works out well enough for some.

Prior to that my friend in the trade rehomed a pyramid butterfly from one of his customers tanks without telling me, it was a cool surprise, but it ended up having velvet and I lost everything, my black tang, my 15 year old purple, and so on. Point is you’ll get through this. It sounds like you quarantine already or buy quarantined. I’d be an unhappy camper if that order had this and you paid for QT. Ugh.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there again

It has been 3 weeks since the last fish passed. Could you offer guidance on adding more fish to the aquarium?

The other inhabitants appear to be flourishing - fish and coral both. They eat well and aren't shy about it. No aggression that I have witnessed.

Parameters
Alk 9.8
pH 8.1 to 8.2
NO3 11
PO4 .08

I don't actively test the others, but do have ICP results from a month ago if needed.

I have also since purchased a Lifegard Aquatics 25watt UV but have not plumbed it yet (wife and I just had a new kid huzzah!)

Since the other fish seem to be fine, is it safe to add more now?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the baby!!!!

I’d wait a couple more weeks and don’t start with anything extremely ick sensitive or expensive. It’s in the system now. That said if no symptoms after say 6 weeks it’s time to test the waters again pun intended. In my case I had one outbreak and a few smaller ones and then nothing last 4 years or so even when adding new (quarantined) fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there again

It has been 3 weeks since the last fish passed. Could you offer guidance on adding more fish to the aquarium?

The other inhabitants appear to be flourishing - fish and coral both. They eat well and aren't shy about it. No aggression that I have witnessed.

Parameters
Alk 9.8
pH 8.1 to 8.2
NO3 11
PO4 .08

I don't actively test the others, but do have ICP results from a month ago if needed.

I have also since purchased a Lifegard Aquatics 25watt UV but have not plumbed it yet (wife and I just had a new kid huzzah!)

Since the other fish seem to be fine, is it safe to add more now?

I generally wait at least 45 days (60 is safer) in a tank where there was partial fish loss before adding any new fish. As you are no doubt aware, a repeat scenario can happen if the new fish bring in a different disease with them. If you can buy properly quarantined fish, that can help, so can quarantining them yourself:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back