What is this white jelly film stuff?

josgraha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I saw this odd white jelly surrounding the base of one of my soft corals. I pulled most of it off with a turkey baster but in a few days it was back and looking even more organized than before. It is a very bright, almost white color and has an odd ballooning movement to it, it looks like some white jelly film. Part of me wants to just remove it from my tank, coral and all and another part of me wants to see what it grows into from a scientific curiosity standpoint. However I know pests are the only thing that happen fast in reef aquariums so I'm more inclined to treat it as a pest. If I could describe the bio-film I would say it looks a bit like a tent or parachute but it gets larger over time.
Sorry the photos kinda suck

20231127_175158.jpg
20231127_175200.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I saw this odd white jelly surrounding the base of one of my soft corals. I pulled most of it off with a turkey baster but in a few days it was back and looking even more organized than before. It is a very bright, almost white color and has an odd ballooning movement to it, it looks like some white jelly film. Part of me wants to just remove it from my tank, coral and all and another part of me wants to see what it grows into from a scientific curiosity standpoint. However I know pests are the only thing that happen fast in reef aquariums so I'm more inclined to treat it as a pest. If I could describe the bio-film I would say it looks a bit like a tent or parachute but it gets larger over time.
Sorry the photos kinda suck

20231127_175158.jpg
20231127_175200.jpg
Would need a better photo, but the hole and the description points to a tunicate, which are harmless filter feeders, is it more like a firm gelatin or more like a thick water?

OP
OP
josgraha

josgraha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much, i'll work on a better photo, there's other corals around messing with the autofocus, it's definitely more like a firm gelatin when i tried to export it with the turkey baster, it held together surprisingly well

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much, i'll work on a better photo, there's other corals around messing with the autofocus, it's definitely more like a firm gelatin when i tried to export it with the turkey baster, it held together surprisingly well
No problem! I have them growing all around my platygyra. Haven't bothered it except one time when there were simply too many, they're very easy to remove in case as they aren't like aptasia (in the sense that they can't regrow from a fragment)
20231127_191144.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, either sponge or tunicates - they should be harmless/beneficial filter feeders either way; some sponges and tunicates can be invasive (your specimen is definitely not an invasive tunicate species; it's more difficult to ID invasive sponges, so I can't guarantee anything there), but as long as the corals nearby aren't seeming abnormally unhappy, and as long as the sponges aren't growing over the top of and smothering the corals then they're not harmful.

OP
OP
josgraha

josgraha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much again, very fortunate there's so many marine biologists here. based on what I could find it might be a tunicate, unfortunately it has attached itself to the base of a soft coral (encrusting gorgonian) and is smothering it a bit but the colony is branching so it's only covering a portion of one branch (you can see the polyps sticking out). here's a _slightly_ better photo but I had to fight with autofocus a lot just to get this. I took this photo last night and when I looked at it this morning, i noticed the hole moved slightly to the left and higher and there's some new jelly growth kinda flapping off to one side. So whatever it is (tunicate maybe) is thriving. If you have any advice on how you identify the various things appearing in a reef tank I would appreciate it but I'm assuming everyone here is just way more experienced than I am (<1 year, new guy, sorry)
20231127_211343.jpg

OP
OP
josgraha

josgraha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! I have them growing all around my platygyra. Haven't bothered it except one time when there were simply too many, they're very easy to remove in case as they aren't like aptasia (in the sense that they can't regrow from a fragment)
20231127_191144.jpg
is that a favia under the tunicate, whatever it is is gorgeous and your rocks are so pristeen! thank you very much again!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much again, very fortunate there's so many marine biologists here. based on what I could find it might be a tunicate, unfortunately it has attached itself to the base of a soft coral (encrusting gorgonian) and is smothering it a bit but the colony is branching so it's only covering a portion of one branch (you can see the polyps sticking out). here's a _slightly_ better photo but I had to fight with autofocus a lot just to get this. I took this photo last night and when I looked at it this morning, i noticed the hole moved slightly to the left and higher and there's some new jelly growth kinda flapping off to one side. So whatever it is (tunicate maybe) is thriving. If you have any advice on how you identify the various things appearing in a reef tank I would appreciate it but I'm assuming everyone here is just way more experienced than I am (<1 year, new guy, sorry)
20231127_211343.jpg
Huh, by the growth pattern and rate it might also be a sponge, is it transparent/translucent or more of a milky white? Either way it's probably harmless

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any advice on how you identify the various things appearing in a reef tank I would appreciate it but I'm assuming everyone here is just way more experienced than I am (<1 year, new guy, sorry)
Sponges and colonial tunicates can sometimes be incredibly difficult to tell apart (at least externally and without a microscope), but here's some advice for this particular situation:
colonial tunicates are typically very uniform, with all of the in-current siphons being roughly the same size and shape and being distributed very uniformly as well; sponges tend to be less uniform and more haphazard with their in-current siphons;
For other ID's, I tend to be pretty intense about figuring things out, so I'll go combing through a number of different databases to find something that matches or points me in the right direction if I'm not sure on the ID to start. The thread below lists most (I'm sure I've forgotten one or two) of the databases I use and has some info on them/using them:
That said, some ID's are easy, others are very difficult, and there's a lot of in between; for a lot of the easy ones, I'd recommend the threads below, but for the others time/experience, learning about marine life generally, extreme attention to detail, and occasionally a taxonomic key are what you need. (I've found that when first learning to try and ID various organisms, I would start looking at some type of organism - like starfish for example - and I'd see one that I thought looked like a match, but with more experience now in trying to ID starfish, I sometimes look back at my early efforts and facepalm a bit, because I can now readily tell that some of what I thought were matches were definitely not; all this to say that sometimes we start a bit "faceblind" (for lack of a better term at the moment) to different organisms - so they can all pretty much look the same even when they're obviously different - and experience attempting to ID/differentiate them helps with overcoming that).

The threads:

OP
OP
josgraha

josgraha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges and colonial tunicates can sometimes be incredibly difficult to tell apart (at least externally and without a microscope), but here's some advice for this particular situation:

For other ID's, I tend to be pretty intense about figuring things out, so I'll go combing through a number of different databases to find something that matches or points me in the right direction if I'm not sure on the ID to start. The thread below lists most (I'm sure I've forgotten one or two) of the databases I use and has some info on them/using them:
That said, some ID's are easy, others are very difficult, and there's a lot of in between; for a lot of the easy ones, I'd recommend the threads below, but for the others time/experience, learning about marine life generally, extreme attention to detail, and occasionally a taxonomic key are what you need. (I've found that when first learning to try and ID various organisms, I would start looking at some type of organism - like starfish for example - and I'd see one that I thought looked like a match, but with more experience now in trying to ID starfish, I sometimes look back at my early efforts and facepalm a bit, because I can now readily tell that some of what I thought were matches were definitely not; all this to say that sometimes we start a bit "faceblind" (for lack of a better term at the moment) to different organisms - so they can all pretty much look the same even when they're obviously different - and experience attempting to ID/differentiate them helps with overcoming that).

The threads:
wonderfully put, thank you so much for the resources as well

OP
OP
josgraha

josgraha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, so i took another look at this thing today and it seems to be thriving because I'm seeing what looks like "bubbles" appearing across the film and one of them apparently has a hole in it and the others look like they're starting to form a central area where a hole might appear. wow this is some odd stuff and the turbulence from the powerhead makes it looks like a hot air balloon inflating on a windy day. i think i'm just going to have to let it keep growing out of scientific curiosity although it is steadily climbing up that poor gorgonian.
20231128_145057.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back