WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36A96B0D-698D-48E9-9F30-AE7882B93126.jpeg

FAAC5029-C538-4B1E-8A5B-9B63C98B3BD3.jpeg

They look like limpets or chitons the size of pinheads, attached to my refugium’s glass pane, but they jitter and have pulsating appendages like isopods. What do you guys think?

Below: location of pulsating appendages, circled in red.
D638F6D1-B96C-474C-A122-DC8C05B4DAEF.jpeg

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and google abalone snail? Might be similar to what you got also

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you searched chiton yet? I think it also has a foot but doesn’t hurt to try :) good luck

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar, but the abalone has a “foot” rather than appendages on its underside (though it has countless tentacles on its flanks). Oh, I also love eating the larger varieties ;Drool!
Abalones are super tasty, love them. I saw Jake Adams got some warm water ones, wonder if anyone know where to get some.... Would be cool to have one in my tank.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that the appendages you are seeing are it’s gills or a reproductive organ or digestive organ or something along those lines.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm… Wikipedia; “ Placiphorella, the veiled chiton, is a genus of polyplacophoran molluscs with precephalic tentacles, which are used in feeding”

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm… Wikipedia; “ Placiphorella, the veiled chiton, is a genus of polyplacophoran molluscs with precephalic tentacles, which are used in feeding”
Not sure if that’s the one I’m seeing (still not sure if what I am seeing chitons as well), but it looks absolutely insane for a chiton!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an isopod. Those pulsating appendages you referenced are the pleopods. (Gill structures) Uropods are also vaguely visible. I have the same variety in my tank and they are harmless. Possibly members of the Serolina genus.

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abalones are super tasty, love them. I saw Jake Adams got some warm water ones, wonder if anyone know where to get some.... Would be cool to have one in my tank.
I picked one up from the LFS a month ago. I have no idea what species of Haliotis this one is, but it is HUGE, and probably too large for my IM40. It's also nocturnal, so not visible during the day, but I'll sometimes walk past the tank after lights out and see this thing, roughly the size and shape of a green tongue, pasted against the glass. It certainly is unusual.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an isopod. Those pulsating appendages you referenced are the pleopods. (Gill structures) Uropods are also vaguely visible. I have the same variety in my tank and they are harmless. Possibly members of the Serolina genus.
Thank you so much! I think this is the one!
I picked one up from the LFS a month ago. I have no idea what species of Haliotis this one is, but it is HUGE, and probably too large for my IM40. It's also nocturnal, so not visible during the day, but I'll sometimes walk past the tank after lights out and see this thing, roughly the size and shape of a green tongue, pasted against the glass. It certainly is unusual.
Sounds awesome! Could we see pictures?
I wish I could own one, but if I did, it would probably mow down all my macroalgae :(.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back