What would kill a large hermit crab?

kLoRRn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home for work today and I found my largest hermit crab presumably dead next to my pulsing Xenia. I have 5 total and that was the biggest with bigger shells for him to inhabit. The fish are happy, pulsing Xenia and GSP are happy looking. Multiple zoa frags are open. Other hermit crab seem unbothered. There’s a bit of hair algae growing on some unused shells but that’s about it

Parameters:
Temp 77
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 1ppm
Salinity 1.024

IMG_3986.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a bit tough to answer without more info. Anything can kill it - other crabs, fish, poor water quality, poor acclimation, starvation, old age.......

How long have you had it? How old is your tank?

OP
OP
kLoRRn

kLoRRn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a bit tough to answer without more info. Anything can kill it - other crabs, fish, poor water quality, poor acclimation, starvation, old age.......

How long have you had it? How old is your tank?
The tank has been up and running since February. Crabs were the first inhabitants, fish came about a month or so after. The tank gets fed twice a day, sometimes more with freeze dried mysis with selcon and TDO pellets. I am fairly certain it is not starvation, I always make sure there is enough for the crabs that make it to the bottom and lately there has been a bit of hair algae as well. Considering it was the biggest crab maybe old age? i found the crab carcass next to the pulsing xenia, shell under the Xenia, legs apart just next to the body

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be my guess, old age, or something else unrelated to your tank. I wouldn't worry about it

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 32.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back