What's the best salt mix for Sps?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am suprised how many people use Red sea coral Pro as its designed for Frag Tanks.
its has ALk at 12 !
I use the plain red sea (blue bucket) only thing I do is add ALK to it to get to 8.5
Red sea has a youtube clip somewhere describing the difference between the two salts.
if I recall right the normal red sea (blue bucket) is designed to get better color.

@ about the 3min mark.
Hope I am allowed to add links ?

I have never heard of this.

Why would the Alk be different from a Frag Tank vs. Any other Tank?

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea 200g regular sack all the way for me. Used to use Tropic Marin Pro until two bad buckets. Not one but two in a span of a few months. RedSea dissolves in an hour and it's ready to go. I just bump up the Alk and Mg a bit by dosing after mixing. I use it with a CA reactor. For FOWLR I use Ocean Pure. It's cheap.

reefologist55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used esv..which was great...but pricey and takes time to prep

I have used red sea pro...but that causes a high alk (11dkh)

Now back to reef crystals..they all do the same...just a matter of your preference...as long as u dose and keep levels good

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea 200g regular sack all the way for me. Used to use Tropic Marin Pro until two bad buckets. Not one but two in a span of a few months. RedSea dissolves in an hour and it's ready to go. I just bump up the Alk and Mg a bit by dosing after mixing. I use it with a CA reactor. For FOWLR I use Ocean Pure. It's cheap.

What was bad about the Tropic Marin Pro?

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was bad about the Tropic Marin Pro?
Bad batches of Pro. Two separate incidences. First time ALK content was 3 dKH @1.026 SG. Second time ALK was at 4 dKH @ 1.025 SG. Both times calcium was in the 300s.
My tank water parameters got really screwed up from this. That's what prompted me to test newly mixed salt water.
I contacted Tropic Marin. The reason they gave me was that they make it that low so you can use it with a calcium reactor. Really??? Thought that was bullocks. LOL
I didn't waste the salt though I just adjusted it with supplements to make it usable for a reef tank.
This occurred around 4 years ago and never used it since.
A few wholesalers pushes me to carry Tropic Marin at my new shop but I'm very hesitant because of what happened. Don't want my customers to deal with something like that.
So, lesson learned. Always test your newly mixed saltwater! No matter what brand. RedSea regular is always consistent with me. ALK 8 CA 400 MG 1300 @ 1.026SG . The results are always somewhere around there. MG a little lower than my liking. So I just add a little BRS Mg sulfate/chloride to bump it up.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad batches of Pro. Two separate incidences. First time ALK content was 3 dKH @1.026 SG. Second time ALK was at 4 dKH @ 1.025 SG. Both times calcium was in the 300s.
My tank water parameters got really screwed up from this. That's what prompted me to test newly mixed salt water.
I contacted Tropic Marin. The reason they gave me was that they make it that low so you can use it with a calcium reactor. Really??? Thought that was bullocks. LOL
I didn't waste the salt though I just adjusted it with supplements to make it usable for a reef tank.
This occurred around 4 years ago and never used it since.
A few wholesalers pushes me to carry Tropic Marin at my new shop but I'm very hesitant because of what happened. Don't want my customers to deal with something like that.
So, lesson learned. Always test your newly mixed saltwater! No matter what brand. RedSea regular is always consistent with me. ALK 8 CA 400 MG 1300 @ 1.026SG . The results are always somewhere around there. MG a little lower than my liking. So I just add a little BRS Mg sulfate/chloride to bump it up.

Interesting.

I also recommend testing.

I test Every Bucket before I use it (Sometimes I check it more often than that).

I am on my 7th Bucket of Tropic Marin Pro since switching from Reef Crystals and have never had a problem with TMP. (Alkalinity is Always at 8 to 8.5 where I want it).

Reef2Javi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV is the way to go. I use their two part system as well and my corals speak for themselves. I also use their salt mix mainly because it shares the water parameters i run my tank with with a relative salinity of 1.025.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back