What's the best salt mix for Sps?

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why mix the two?

Right now I'm mixing Red Sea and Tropic Marin but only until the TM is gone.
When mixing these two I found ca,alk, mg and potassium in exactly same levels I keep my system
And these 2 brands are pretty good and I wanna replenish all minerals and etc. if one of them has less then other

Dolmo5000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that like many have said and demonstrated previously (and even in this thread), stability is the key to success. Knowing what type of salt mix is best for your system is potentially more important that the specific brand you choose to go with. I, like many these days choose to run an sps system focused more on coloration than growth rate. For this reason I keep my alkalinity on the low side at 7.2+/-0.2 dkh. If my alk spikes by much more my corals get ****** in a hurry. With dosers keeping alk and calc very stable I need my salt mix to have the same parameters. I cannot use any of the "reef" type salts, which have much higher alk and calc and mag levels (e.g. coral pro, tropic marin reef pro, reef crystals etc.). I have lots of success with regular salt mixed like red sea regular, IO, and standard tropic marin. I'm sure there are tons of others. Just my 2 cents.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed to Crystal Sea Marine Mix, and I've done 4 water changes so far with it 35gal each time and I get a drop in ALK/CAL.
Before i was using Reef Crystals and all was stable.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed to Crystal Sea Marine Mix, and I've done 4 water changes so far with it 35gal each time and I get a drop in ALK/CAL.
Before i was using Reef Crystals and all was stable.

If your tank was stable why did you change ?

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
private supplier i get my livestock from convinced me, said this was a better product and all aquariums use this brand etc...
Gave me a good price on an order, Gave it a shot... Lost 3 clams in a week before i noticed all was off.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
private supplier i get my livestock from convinced me, said this was a better product and all aquariums use this brand etc...
Gave me a good price on an order, Gave it a shot... Lost 3 clams in a week before i noticed all was off.

Wow sorry about that bro. Never mess with a stable tank.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'm starting to recover, tested last night and Cal was at 400-420 depending on how accurate that last drop counting is, and Alk is at 9.8 or so.
I have 1 clam left, its been fairly closed so I hope it recovers.

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised to hear so many people using Red Sea Pro. I greatly prefer the regular Red Sea (in the blue bucket). It mimics natural sea levels, same as the Tropic Marin Pro. Tropic Marin has it right by calling their natural mix "Pro". In my opinion a "pro" would be running a Ca reactor or dosing 2-part to keep their levels stable at all times. So why would someone with a stable tank (Ca/Alk) want to use the Red Sea Pro which is going to boost the Ca and Alk each time you do a wc? There are only two salts I would use, Tropic Marin Pro or Red Sea (non-pro) because they both mimic natural levels and won't elevate my params.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a ton of different salts and Reef crystals is my favorite because 1. it doesn't cost a lot and 2. The batches are consistent. My tank has been the victim of a bad batch of salt on several occasions and I've seen 2 of my friends tanks SPS melt before their eyes due to bad salt.

I am always told that Reef Crystals is the Most Inconsistant Brand out there and you never know what you will be getting bag to bag..

Of course I have never had a problems with it in the last 5 Years until last week when I got a batch that made cloudy saltwater that did not clear up.

Which Brands gave you Bad Batches?

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always told that Reef Crystals is the Most Inconsistant Brand out there and you never know what you will be getting bag to bag..

Of course I have never had a problems with it in the last 5 Years until last week when I got a batch that made cloudy saltwater that did not clear up.

Which Brands gave you Bad Batches?

Tropic Marin

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change water any more. But have to add a cup every so often from skimate and selling corals. I just buy what's cheap from members on local forum. Most of the time it's instant ocean. Just dose everything needed. Think it's working wonders in my tank. Also no sand in my tank or refugium, but do have biopellets. Tank has been up since last dec but was a direct swap of my old tank that was about 3 years old.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418785327.735778.jpg

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had and seen others have very good luck with many salts. The main thing you want from the big names is consistency and that is mixes to levels you are trying to keep in your own tank. I think people should test their salt occasionally to see what it is really mixing up at, If you are trying to keep your tank at 480 for Ca and the salt mixes at 400, you have to supplement the salt to get it in line with your tank before using it. Same goes for Alk, keeping your tank at 8 dKH and using salt that mixes at 13, just means your tank will be less stable. So I would try and match the salt to the kind of tank you are running.

FWIW, I have had good success with IO, Reef Crystals, Oceanic and Red Sea CP.

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro PLUS Salt Mix

I like that the level of alk and calcium is neutral... With a slight bump in magnesium when I mix at 1.024 I get an even 9 alk which is what I always keep my tank at with dosing

a836cbbf68191b1df1125a5d56b0836c.jpg

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am suprised how many people use Red sea coral Pro as its designed for Frag Tanks.
its has ALk at 12 !
I use the plain red sea (blue bucket) only thing I do is add ALK to it to get to 8.5
Red sea has a youtube clip somewhere describing the difference between the two salts.
if I recall right the normal red sea (blue bucket) is designed to get better color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR0yIcFD7u8
@ about the 3min mark.
Hope I am allowed to add links ?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back