Whats with my hippo's eye?

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience @shoelaceike the wait and see approach usually ends badly. Usually by the time you are seeing external symptoms your fish is in the advanced stages of disease.

There are way too many threads like this that have as their last post that the fish died.

As difficult as catching a fish out of a display tank is, it beats the alternative.

Good luck and keep us posted

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll see if he'll come out and I can do a FW dip on him.

Definitely read the guide that Humble posted.

If that eye is the only site of infestation it would be rather peculiar.

So I'd be patient first and watch some more – either for changes in that eye (a flatworm can crawl, a scratch cannot :) ) or for other irritated sites on this fish or others where flat worms would be likely to be present.

If/when you can, do a freshwater dip and that should take care of flatworms on that fish – they are very susceptible to fresh water. :)

If you don't already have a transparent catch cup (or something just like it) to assist with catching, you should get one asap. If you're a little patient and a little lucky you can get them to swim right in without even touching them with a net and without most of the stress associated with catching.

Speaking of stress...

An outbreak of these guys (if you confirm that's what it is) indicates compromised immune systems, BTW. So re-assess stress levels you are providing in the tank, reduce them wherever possible even if it means removing one or more fish, and boost the diet toward live food and foods rich in carotenoids.

You may get some ideas from this too – I'd read the whole thing:
SRAC 0474: The Role of Stress in Fish Disease

Remember that Hippo's are much more susceptible to stress that most other aquarium fish, so you have to allow for that in your system design.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-20170210-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20170210-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20170210-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20170210-WA0004.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(All disease is attributable to stress and diet, so don't lose sight of that while you work through this! Good luck!)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know red-colored fish can have a reserve of cartenoids to use for their immune system, but blue fish (like your Hippo) do not?

The side effect in these situations is that almost all carotenoids a blue fish eats are used for immune boosting, whereas red-colored fish may have to use a limited supply for both functions – coloration and immunity.
Red fish, blue fish: trade-offs between pigmentation and immunity in Betta splendens

(There are other pigments used for yellow-red colors too, BTW.....but they apparently don't fill the same other functions.)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a hook and line is often a very low-stress way if you're very limited.....it's usually instant cuz they don't know any better. Don't think I've seen hook and line take longer than 5 minutes and it's over before anyone even gets a chance to stress.

You do need a tiny fly-fishing hook though and tiny line to go with it.....stuff not everyone has around.

And here's the catch cup I was talking about:
http://www.leesaqpet.com/browsecat/...alescent-home-specimen-container-large-detail
Convalescent_Hom_4c7294820bf66.jpg

They can't really see it well when it's on it's side in the tank – and using a net to herd your target fish, you can often get them to swim right in.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(All disease is attributable to stress and diet, so don't lose sight of that while you work through this! Good luck!)

While stress/malnutrition will certainly make a fish more susceptible to disease; parasites/worms/harmful bacteria have to be introduced into the DT in the first place for "disease" to happen.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble! I was only pointing out that it takes two to tango.

The presence of disease usually takes all the focus – and that's just not fair! :)

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble. I'm still confused. How would you remove flukes if the have infested the eye? I'd assume they bred in his gills and are on the inside of the cornea? I get that n if they are in the gills or attached to the body but... I'm i just misunderstanding this? Thanks for the real article on flukes though, it was really helpful. Your the best

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They crawl on the outside of the body....think of it like a tick on a fish. They just "bite down" on the outside somewhere...or even feed off of slime if they can't/don't want to bite down.

Freshwater dip will do it. At most you may have to "tease" it off the eye, but that's pretty rare. And not hard...just use a finger or net and be very delicate and very patient.

The fish is usually very cooperative (they're much smarter than we ususally think), so it's not as hard as it might seem going in.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't hold on nearly as tight as a tick can...ticks (on mammals) are much worse.....not a perfect example.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble. I'm still confused. How would you remove flukes if the have infested the eye? I'd assume they bred in his gills and are on the inside of the cornea? I get that n if they are in the gills or attached to the body but... I'm i just misunderstanding this? Thanks for the real article on flukes though, it was really helpful. Your the best

These are an external parasite. The freshwater dip will knock most of them off the fish and give the most immediate relief. You'll have to dose prazipro to finish them off. You'll dose it twice, 5-7 days apart with a water change in between.

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are an external parasite. The freshwater dip will knock most of them off the fish and give the most immediate relief. You'll have to dose prazipro to finish them off. You'll dose it twice, 5-7 days apart with a water change in between.
I totally get that but the 4th or 5th post shows a.picture with Flukes on the inner recess of the eyeball, underneath the cornea. I get that skin and gill (external flukes can be dipped or prazi d and fall off. The flukes Insidee the eye, while the Prazi may kill them, would they not just die inside the eyeball and cause blindness in that one eye? Or is the cloudiness a symptom as.the U of F article mentioned? I am Just trying to picture how they come out, and think maybe that's what the simple article I originally posted was getting at that said there is no known cure for Flukes in the eye. The key word being, inside. I will just accept whatever but as a Science nerd I have been thinking about this (way tio much obviously) and tying to wrap my brain around this.
I'll will stop hijacking this poor guys post after this. Looks like he has plenty of help.[emoji3] Happy Reefing all.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@timnem70 Neobenedenia sp. (for example) will often aggregate on the eyes, and will sometimes crawl under the skin and enter the eye(s). Similar to how Gnathostoma (roundworms/nematodes) do in other animals & humans: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/gnathostoma/faqs.html

While the literature isn't specific on how Neobenedenia is capable of entering the eyes, my "best guess" is if they got in there then they can fall out after they die. ;)

I'll try to do more research on the subject later on today.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back