Whats wrong with my refugium?? Cheato wont grow!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never mind this post, i see you posted temperature. Mine is 79-82 daily.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to go by my example, my tank parameters are 8dkh alk, po4 0, no3 0, salinity 1.026, magnesium 1250ppm, calcium 400. Some are api, some are salifert.

Personally id raise the salinity to 1.026 as thats what they live in, not 1.024. Could be why it dies. Magnesium seems a bit high and calcium too. Id aim for natural levels if it were me, who knows what higher values do? But if you plan on raising it id ask Randy how to properly do it as your magnesium and calcium would increase with the salinity increase too.

My bio cubes parameters are closer to yours, with salinity even lower then mine and cheato is growing like crazy

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if everything is like this I'd try doing water changes and run carbon to see if there is an improvement.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon doesn't remove everything, but will remove some stuff. That why both is like double guns.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im back in for another update, New batch of cheato doesnt seem to be dying off , but some parts are kinda losing its color already. Overall most of it is still green , so far not dying away nor growing. So ill update you guys on this in the next few days.

I decided to throw in a bag of carbon this morning, as maybe some kind of toxin or heavy metal in the water is harming the cheato. I seriously doubt this , but worth the try.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coming in for a quick update. The new batch of cheato has gone down the drain as well. almost completely dead as well. I was thinking, would running filter cause this, not letting the nutrients get to the cheato ?

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along - I have the same problem in my refugium - Dragons Breath or Cheato does not grow (same size for about 5 months) - It does not die like the thread author's - My Dragons breadth is faded and chaeto gets a clumpy snotty mess on it- I think I have flow issues in fuge being too low, also competes wit Skimmer (running 24x7) and only feeding one cube a day (80G tank only 6 small fish)

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto grows like crazy. I have found that the biggest thing is lighting. I use something very simple for lighting. I have a clamp light that I got at Home Depot for about $10.00 and I put a plant bulb that I got in the garden dept, it was around $12.95 about 3 or 4 years ago. I haven't added anything else, RODI water, filter sock, skimmer runs 24/7. No reactors, no uv, I use Kent Reef Salt, no 2 part, pretty simple set up. 120 gallon tank, 29 gallon sump, max fish load, mixed reef.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coming in for a quick update. The new batch of cheato has gone down the drain as well. almost completely dead as well. I was thinking, would running filter cause this, not letting the nutrients get to the cheato ?

How's rest of tank doing?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cleaned frequently socks remove stuff before it breaks down. Maybe your system is just ultra clean. I believe you said you dose amino acids for corals.

moviepastor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your phosphates. my understanding is this thrives on phosphates and nitrates. if it doesnt have a nutrient supply it will die. i have same set up. healthy tank. every time i put chaeto in it dies. i have zero phospate and zero nitrate tho. thats the goal anyway to export the nutrients so chaeto is of no use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back