Whats wrong with my refugium?? Cheato wont grow!

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am bringing this thread back, as I am still unable to keep cheato alive. I came across an issue someone else was having with their cheato in which he found the cause. According to him his ATO was pouring RO water in the chamber next to his cheato which was causing frequent hypo-salinity in the refugium. The hypo-salinity was killing off his cheato. I was wondering if maybe the same is happening to me, as I just cannot understand why I cannot keep cheato. What do you guys think ? Where do you guys have your ATO pour your RO for top off?

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ato comes into my chamber right before the refugium where my protien skimmer is located and the aquarium water comes into the sump. I use a Tom's Aqualifter to put water from my ato container. I wouldn't think that the amount of RO freshwater would be the problem. If your parameters look okay, I would suspect lighting. I use a garden variety, full spectrum light bulb, that is in a clamp on style of shop light fixture, nothing fancy. I grow chaeto like a weed and I have to trim it out once a month. I been using this for 5+ years and I have never had a problem. Lately, I had this 20 gallon Aqueon light lying around and I put a plant bulb in it for my other sump and I was going to use this temporarily until I could get a new fixture, my old one crapped out on me. It also is working very well. I tried an LED fixture and didn't see near the growth.To me it just seems something is missing in the LED's that a florescent provides. I hope this helps. It is cheap enough to try out.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have chaeto and it grew super fast. But the caulerpa grew faster. They fought tooth and nail, but when the dust cleared, the caulerpa was left the victor. The chaeto lingers, but a shadow of its former self. My ato pours in near my drains. I have noticed people use these fancy bulbs and such, but 6500K CFLs work the best IME for growing plant life. I use them over my freshwater planted tanks and in my sump. Never any issues with growth. 5700K don't work as well, at least not in freshwater planted tanks. Too much red or something.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have chaeto and it grew super fast. But the caulerpa grew faster. They fought tooth and nail, but when the dust cleared, the caulerpa was left the victor. The chaeto lingers, but a shadow of its former self. My ato pours in near my drains. I have noticed people use these fancy bulbs and such, but 6500K CFLs work the best IME for growing plant life. I use them over my freshwater planted tanks and in my sump. Never any issues with growth. 5700K don't work as well, at least not in freshwater planted tanks. Too much red or something.

I agree. Caulerpa (at leqast Caulerpa racemosa) is more efficient than is chaeto since it usually can outcompete it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am bringing this thread back, as I am still unable to keep cheato alive. I came across an issue someone else was having with their cheato in which he found the cause. According to him his ATO was pouring RO water in the chamber next to his cheato which was causing frequent hypo-salinity in the refugium. The hypo-salinity was killing off his cheato. I was wondering if maybe the same is happening to me, as I just cannot understand why I cannot keep cheato. What do you guys think ? Where do you guys have your ATO pour your RO for top off?

Depending on how much the ATO adds at once (impacting the salinity in the refugium), that could certainly be a possibility.

Any way you can add the water downstream from the macroalgae?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back