When science got it wrong...

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing how the perception of science is going through a rough path. And it is almost funny to say it, but people is getting skeptical about science. I believe the reason of this skepticism is all the times science got it wrong. But this is silly.

It is silly because is inherent to science to get things somewhat wrong. Or better, frequently science is only partially right, and as time passes it is less wrong and more right. So why trust on science? Because it is the best option and because it works. The methodology is designed to lead to a understanding (of virtually any topic) that is more and more accurate as time passes.

It is also silly because people is getting more skeptical about science (and that is ok) and less skeptical about other sources of knowledge that frequently cannot be tested, and for that reason alone cannot fail (this is not ok). Skepticism is in the core of scientific method, but so it is the ability of changing your mind. That is why and how science advances, often changing its state to a more accurate one. One cannot be a good scientist without accepting being wrong and thus changing his mind. And that happens frequently!

In a typical scientific experiment an hypothesis is formulated based on observation and then is tested. Very similar to what we see happening here every day. Or, is it? The main difference in my opinion is on the test. In science, this test is designed to prove that your hypothesis is wrong and not to prove that it is wright. And only then, when your test fails to prove it wrong, your conclusion is that it may be right.

So what is my point? My point is that criticism is not bad, it actually means that someone took his time to think about your idea and raise pertinent questions about it. That skepticism is not personal, is part of a methodology to refine your idea. Also, being wrong is not all bad. It will likely save you time and money if you realize you are wrong as fast as possible. So do not get upset if that happens, you are a better reefer after, then you were before you realize the flaws of your idea. And that is the whole point, isn't it?

Here is a good reading to reflect: http://packedhead.net/2011/skeptical-reefkeeping-experts-and-changing-your-mind/

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
The idea that because science gets things wrong sometimes misses two points. 1) Science is a method for checking and correcting when it is wrong and 2) 'not science' is wrong far more often than science but somehow people ignore that.
I also find interesting that when people ask for more evidence the reaction is often 'I can't afford to do a full blown scientific test, that is never going to happen'. There is more than the two extremes of anecdote and rigorous peer review. I hope to address this soon in an article.
Finally, when someone says 'I'd like to see more evidence' they aren't saying 'you and your idea are stupid', they are simply saying they would like to see more convincing evidence. :D

OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be a good idea to have some written basic guideline for testing of new technologies/methodologies in reef keeping. Something that would help people to isolate variables and understand the weaknesses / strengths of the methods and learn about data collection. A lot of people spend time and money testing new things and would benefit of something like that. A thread / forum where people can ask for help on how to design an experiment that can have any meaning and what data to collect.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be a good idea to have some written basic guideline for testing of new technologies/methodologies in reef keeping. Something that would help people to isolate variables and understand the weaknesses / strengths of the methods and learn about data collection. A lot of people spend time and money testing new things and would benefit of something like that. A thread / forum where people can ask for help on how to design an experiment that can have any meaning and what data to collect.
I agree on this.
For instance bought a new microscope to have the ability to back up findings with visual data.
I don't write thesis papers but do write set methods with conclusions
I love science but don't see much applied anymore.

OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on this.
For instance bought a new microscope to have the ability to back up findings with visual data.
I don't write thesis papers but do write set methods with conclusions
I love science but don't see much applied anymore.

It can be tedious to do it right sometimes, it takes a lot of patience. It is also frustrating to be wrong... But I feel it is very rewarding to participate in the process.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be tedious to do it right sometimes, it takes a lot of patience. It is also frustrating to be wrong... But I feel it is very rewarding to participate in the process.
Yes when a test situation goes wrong or not as expected it takes dedication to backup, look over current data and resolve.
2 steps forward most always include 1 step back

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an article coming out soon that talks about simple science and how it can impact the reefing community. Most of the time all we need is more than anecdote. Twillard, I love the stuff you are doing!

OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an article coming out soon that talks about simple science and how it can impact the reefing community. Most of the time all we need is more than anecdote. Twillard, I love the stuff you are doing!
I just found the other articles on the Skeptical Reefkeeping series... I guess it just got easier to explain where I am coming from in some of my skeptical posts ;-)
Thanks

Articles

Last edited by a moderator:

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in wholehearted agreement as to the use of citizen science to bring non researchers (members of the community) and professional scientists together to enhance awareness of science, solve some problems and add to the knowledge base.

For those of you who may not be aware, professional scientists and community members have relationships based on different research projects1.

A partnership can be, co-created, where citizen scientists and scientists work together on all forms of the research project, this was suggested by the OP in a comment where he states he and others could benefit from help in the collection of data or learning how to process data, as an example.

The gathering and processing of data is also known as a collaborative project.

Another relationship that might be of interest would be a collaborative one, this is where citizens move further into the research field and collaborate on project design or analysis.

What is heartening is that many of these research projects are well suited to participation by members of the reefing community, who are able to follow the principles of scientific inquiry2 and then make valuable contributions to our hobby. However, all this enthusiasm to leap forward and start ‘doing science’ should be tempered with the fact that some projects that require complex observation or data collection techniques will often call for skills that only years of professional training and experience provide and these projects may have to provide citizen science with support and extra training, where appropriate. This method often utilizes fewer citizen scientists for accuracy3

But after all that is said and done, citizen science and the input of the community is an invaluable resource we should utilize, look at what advantages it gives. Citizen scientist gain new knowledge, skills and are empowered. Researchers benefit from greater access to resources (your aquariums) and the scale of data collection increases dramatically.

Society benefits too by getting a greater insight into scientific principles (building science literacy), are more engaged with their environment and they actually want to help us.

Just look at the resources we have available today at our disposal in the community. New technologies are enabling data collection with more accuracy and precision than ever before, just look at the amount of people with smartphones and very sophisticated high-end camera systems, these citizens have the capacity for a high degree of accuracy in observations, allowing automated data collection and creating rigour through the potential of post-processing.

Just look at what citizen scientist have achieved: here in my native Australia, school children participate in conjunction with universities, in counting koalas to enable scientist to develop a distribution model4

Citizen scientist here and around the world have discovered new species, the peacock spider5 being just one very recent example and we’ve even explored the oceans by analysing thousands of images of sea floor habitat6

I think this topic should be on a separate topic where people can go and maybe ask questions or approach a scientist. I for one will offer any advice I can give, especially when it comes down to explain the science to the lay-person. After all, we don’t want to scare people away with jargon and such like.

References:

1. Lewenstein, B. 2004. "What does citizen science accomplish?". Cornell University.

2. Wrinch, D. and Jeffreys, H., 1921. XLII. On certain fundamental principles of scientific inquiry. The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science, 42(249), pp.369-390.

3. Stireman, J.O., Dyer, L.A., Janzen, D.H., Singer, M.S., Lill, J.T., Marquis, R.J., Ricklefs, R.E., Gentry, G.L., Hallwachs, W., Coley, P.D. and Barone, J.A., 2005. Climatic unpredictability and parasitism of caterpillars: implications of global warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 102(48), pp.17384-17387.

4. http://www.imas.utas.edu.au/news/ne...ns-are-becoming-passionate-citizen-scientists

5. https://www.researchgate.net/figure...arrisi-discovered-by-citizen-scientist-Stuart

6. http://exploretheseafloor.net.au/

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in wholehearted agreement as to the use of citizen science to bring non researchers (members of the community) and professional scientists together to enhance awareness of science, solve some problems and add to the knowledge base.

For those of you who may not be aware, professional scientists and community members have relationships based on different research projects1.

A partnership can be, co-created, where citizen scientists and scientists work together on all forms of the research project, this was suggested by the OP in a comment where he states he and others could benefit from help in the collection of data or learning how to process data, as an example.

The gathering and processing of data is also known as a collaborative project.

Another relationship that might be of interest would be a collaborative one, this is where citizens move further into the research field and collaborate on project design or analysis.

What is heartening is that many of these research projects are well suited to participation by members of the reefing community, who are able to follow the principles of scientific inquiry2 and then make valuable contributions to our hobby. However, all this enthusiasm to leap forward and start ‘doing science’ should be tempered with the fact that some projects that require complex observation or data collection techniques will often call for skills that only years of professional training and experience provide and these projects may have to provide citizen science with support and extra training, where appropriate. This method often utilizes fewer citizen scientists for accuracy3

But after all that is said and done, citizen science and the input of the community is an invaluable resource we should utilize, look at what advantages it gives. Citizen scientist gain new knowledge, skills and are empowered. Researchers benefit from greater access to resources (your aquariums) and the scale of data collection increases dramatically.

Society benefits too by getting a greater insight into scientific principles (building science literacy), are more engaged with their environment and they actually want to help us.

Just look at the resources we have available today at our disposal in the community. New technologies are enabling data collection with more accuracy and precision than ever before, just look at the amount of people with smartphones and very sophisticated high-end camera systems, these citizens have the capacity for a high degree of accuracy in observations, allowing automated data collection and creating rigour through the potential of post-processing.

Just look at what citizen scientist have achieved: here in my native Australia, school children participate in conjunction with universities, in counting koalas to enable scientist to develop a distribution model4

Citizen scientist here and around the world have discovered new species, the peacock spider5 being just one very recent example and we’ve even explored the oceans by analysing thousands of images of sea floor habitat6

I think this topic should be on a separate topic where people can go and maybe ask questions or approach a scientist. I for one will offer any advice I can give, especially when it comes down to explain the science to the lay-person. After all, we don’t want to scare people away with jargon and such like.

References:

1. Lewenstein, B. 2004. "What does citizen science accomplish?". Cornell University.

2. Wrinch, D. and Jeffreys, H., 1921. XLII. On certain fundamental principles of scientific inquiry. The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science, 42(249), pp.369-390.

3. Stireman, J.O., Dyer, L.A., Janzen, D.H., Singer, M.S., Lill, J.T., Marquis, R.J., Ricklefs, R.E., Gentry, G.L., Hallwachs, W., Coley, P.D. and Barone, J.A., 2005. Climatic unpredictability and parasitism of caterpillars: implications of global warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 102(48), pp.17384-17387.

4. http://www.imas.utas.edu.au/news/ne...ns-are-becoming-passionate-citizen-scientists

5. https://www.researchgate.net/figure...arrisi-discovered-by-citizen-scientist-Stuart

6. http://exploretheseafloor.net.au/
Nice very nice and thank you!

Reeflogic