When science got it wrong...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been a study of 'Bacteria in a bottle'?

Studies about the bacteria that's IN the bottle, yes. Studies how it crosses over to our hobby and it's environments, I don't know.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been a study of 'Bacteria in a bottle'?

I found this on another forum, a reefer doing their thing...http://www.3reef.com/threads/bottled-bacteria-put-to-the-test.137146/
Results were inconclusive, I believe!

Didn't this paper start all the controversy/
Hovanec, T.A., Taylor, L.T., Blakis, A. and Delong, E.F., 1998. Nitrospira-like bacteria associated with nitrite oxidation in freshwater aquaria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64(1), pp.258-264.

And didn't Dr.Tim do a part of his doctoral thesis on this subject?

I can't find any other published studies on this topic!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on another forum, a reefer doing their thing...http://www.3reef.com/threads/bottled-bacteria-put-to-the-test.137146/
Results were inconclusive, I believe!

Didn't this paper start all the controversy/
Hovanec, T.A., Taylor, L.T., Blakis, A. and Delong, E.F., 1998. Nitrospira-like bacteria associated with nitrite oxidation in freshwater aquaria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64(1), pp.258-264.

And didn't Dr.Tim do a part of his doctoral thesis on this subject?

I can't find any other published studies on this topic!

That was me.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen no studies on this in reef aquaria. They would be so easy to do, so I am unsure why the companies don't do them as it would make this discussion go away. :D

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen no studies on this in reef aquaria. They would be so easy to do, so I am unsure why the companies don't do them as it would make this discussion go away. :D
Ah, sorry about your mom Lionfish Lair.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, I'd like to say and I think you'll appreciate the fact now, that becoming a parent was never a mistake:)
As the proud father of 2 little 'bags of fun' I can relate to how your world must have been turned upside down.
You'll get where you want to be in the end :)

I should have reworded that! My children were not the mistake, having them as a teenager was the mistake!! Thanks for the kind words @Squamosa , my message in that post was really just to say that I too, wanted to be a scientist or biologist or at the very least, someone that could make a difference! Very much like you and others have. :)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's just say, I cycled a tank with my Mombasae lionfish using one of those products.....

How about I also say, I would never purchase bacteria in a bottle with any of the products out there right now.

There ARE studies about the different bacteria and the benefits it has on aquaculture. The information they are providing is not specific to their systems, in that their findings would work for us. Doesn't that sound like awesome supportive data? Time and time again, they added the bacteria and got beneficial results. Different studies. Legit Journals. All applicable...... but it still doesn't guarantee us anything. I can see these articles being used to support the product except one MAJOR difference. None of these studies that I have in front of me have sourced their bacteria from a bottle in a fish store. THAT could be all the difference right there. If I was selling the product, I could easily manipulate what I would like others to see.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sorry about your mom Lionfish Lair.

Thanks. She's a tough ole bird and is alive and kicking. She keeps breaking stuff and winding up in rehab, but they say they figure her age will get her before this type of cancer does. She's 82.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They'd rather have me spend hundreds on product and conduct a cheesy study in my back yard. LOL!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I think I totally sidetracked this topic. Sometimes I forget what the original topic was O.O

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is my point? My point is that criticism is not bad, it actually means that someone took his time to think about your idea and raise pertinent questions about it. That skepticism is not personal, is part of a methodology to refine your idea. Also, being wrong is not all bad. It will likely save you time and money if you realize you are wrong as fast as possible. So do not get upset if that happens, you are a better reefer after, then you were before you realize the flaws of your idea. And that is the whole point, isn't it?

This is going to be my favorite quote of the year.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through this before with him. I was so confused by his responses that I asked if he was drinking - he told me he was and apologized, but he is now doing the same thing. He is saying I am racist and bigoted because I used the word 'specious'. This is why so many people call me crazy for even trying to have discussions like that, and why people bail on the forums. He is blowing Randy's input off, and somehow, by pointing that out, I become the bad guy.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through this before with him. I was so confused by his responses that I asked if he was drinking - he told me he was and apologized, but he is now doing the same thing. He is saying I am racist and bigoted because I used the word 'specious'. This is why so many people call me crazy for even trying to have discussions like that, and why people bail on the forums. He is blowing Randy's input off, and somehow, by pointing that out, I become the bad guy.
This is not cool on the R2R community

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have great respect for rtr not to heavy hand, even when people get mad, pure freedom. Also funny. But not funny when it happens to me, just funny now.
bac in a bottle?

:)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/8/review

image.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back