When to started medicated QT on newly acquired fish?

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sympathize with the wife situation with your multiple tanks! Hopefully you can come up with a solution that works for both of you.

Concerning the 10 foot spacing between your QT and another tank: the issue is that some 'pathogens' can transfer between tanks thru the air (aerosol contamination), which is why it has been recommended to keep them 10 feet away from your QT. You definitely don't want to invest in the time/effort/$ to properly quarantine, just to have your system(s) get contaminated by something passing from one tank to another thru the air.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sympathize with the wife situation with your multiple tanks! Hopefully you can come up with a solution that works for both of you.

Concerning the 10 foot spacing between your QT and another tank: the issue is that some 'pathogens' can transfer between tanks thru the air (aerosol contamination), which is why it has been recommended to keep them 10 feet away from your QT. You definitely don't want to invest in the time/effort/$ to properly quarantine, just to have your system(s) get contaminated by something passing from one tank to another thru the air.
I gotcha. I’ll try to get the fish QT tank moved at least 10 feet from our DT’s and our invert observation tanks. Thanks for your help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro active QT when you treat for all potential issues is the way to go. See Humblefish for relevant protocols. I’ve been following for 2+ years once copper at therapeutic levels (general cure and metroplex) with no real issues.

No need to go there, we have our quarantine protocol here:

I update it as new information comes in, so it is always current.

Jay

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Yes, this is the protocol I am going to follow. Thanks again, Jay!

bezj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Great protocol/instructuons but no mention of metroplex for Uronema and Brook?

Jay

Jay
Great instructions. What about metroplex for the treatment of Uronema and Brook so you have all the major issues covered?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great protocol/instructuons but no mention of metroplex for Uronema and Brook?

Great instructions. What about metroplex for the treatment of Uronema and Brook so you have all the major issues covered?
Metronidazole fails to control inter cellular Uronema. Chloroquine works for external Uronema, but that is mostly just seen in seahorses.
Brooklynella is another issue. Metro sometimes works for that, but the best treatment is formalin, and that is toxic and difficult to source. Chloroquine works, but it is also difficult for home aquarists to source.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything Aquatic sells chloroquine phosphate, though you may have to make an account and message them to be able to see its listing. Makes it a touch harder for people to come buy it for use on themselves, I suppose.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal If I could run one more thing by you I’d really appreciate it. I am considering ordering a tank bred court jester goby from Biota. Some have told me that because they are tank bred there‘s no reason to do a medicated quarantine. I am incline to believe the opposite. Do you suggest I do the full medicated protocol on a court jester goby purchased through Biota?

I’m going to think the answer to my question will be yes, so would you have any suggestions on how to QT this fish? Specifically, the tank bred fish from Biota are *supposed* to take prepared foods, even pellets, but there’s at least a chance that the fish I receive will not. More generally these fish are sand sifters and algae grazers who feed constantly throughout the day. I have read that they need a lot of ’pods and hair algae to do well. I believe my display tank fits that description, but how can I care for and feed this fish for almost 3 months in a bare QT tank? I know I can have a dish of inert sand, but there will be nothing organic for the fish to sift, and I can‘t just put a piece of algae covered live rock in the medicated QT tank either. Obviously, it makes no sense to starve the poor fish trying to quarantine it. Do you have any suggestions for this situation?

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal If I could run one more thing by you I’d really appreciate it. I am considering ordering a tank bred court jester goby from Biota. Some have told me that because they are tank bred there‘s no reason to do a medicated quarantine. I am incline to believe the opposite. Do you suggest I do the full medicated protocol on a court jester goby purchased through Biota?

I’m going to think the answer to my question will be yes, so would you have any suggestions on how to QT this fish? Specifically, the tank bred fish from Biota are *supposed* to take prepared foods, even pellets, but there’s at least a chance that the fish I receive will not. More generally these fish are sand sifters and algae grazers who feed constantly throughout the day. I have read that they need a lot of ’pods and hair algae to do well. I believe my display tank fits that description, but how can I care for and feed this fish for almost 3 months in a bare QT tank? I know I can have a dish of inert sand, but there will be nothing organic for the fish to sift, and I can‘t just put a piece of algae covered live rock in the medicated QT tank either. Obviously, it makes no sense to starve the poor fish trying to quarantine it. Do you have any suggestions for this situation?

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

There is no hard and fast rule, but in general, tank raised fish that have NOT been mixed with wild caught fish have much less of a disease issue. If they got mixed with wild fish at the pet store, they have close to the same risk as any wild caught fish and need to be properly quarantined.

I'm not positive, but I believe that Biota advocates for holding their fish (that you get direct from them) in a tank for 3 days or so to ensure that the shipping process didn't harm them, and then they should be good to go.

Jay

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no hard and fast rule, but in general, tank raised fish that have NOT been mixed with wild caught fish have much less of a disease issue. If they got mixed with wild fish at the pet store, they have close to the same risk as any wild caught fish and need to be properly quarantined.

I'm not positive, but I believe that Biota advocates for holding their fish (that you get direct from them) in a tank for 3 days or so to ensure that the shipping process didn't harm them, and then they should be good to go.

Jay
Thank you for your help and for the link!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back